Which lens to get?

Nikographer, I will back Nikanon with everything he has said about the 2.8 vs 4.....it's much lighter, focus speed is excellent, the VRIII technology is fabulous, and the f/4 is sharper throughout the frame compared to the f2.8. yes, that's right, the f/4 is sharper at the center, edge and corner than the nikon 70-200mm f2.8

Nikographer, sure, the f/4 performs well in low light situation. but, I wouldn't use it indoors without a flash. unless you are shooting inanimate objects. VR will help capture moving subjects in low light situations. it's all about shutter speed.

I went through the EXACT same situation a month ago with trying to decide which 70-200mm lens to go for. the nikon just stood out from the rest. no question about it.

I wish I knew exactly what the differences between the lenses are in terms of image quality. It's just hard to know.

image quality is excellent with the nikon. not so much with the sigma and tamron (from what reviews I read and videos I saw)

like 90% of photographers say, invest in glass. without good quality glass, you can't get the best image quality. there are reviews online that prove this. reviews like cheap dslr with quality glass versus expensive dslr with cheap glass. the cheap body with quality glass will prevail. what you pay extra for in a dslr body is more features and more shortcuts to those features (understating a little bit of course). now as for lenses....you pay extra money for premium glass. buy cheap glass and it shows in you pictures.

cheap glass vs expensive glass, image quality is more evident. an expensive body vs cheap body, image quality is less evident. you can get as good pictures from your D3200 compared to my D7100. sorry for going on and on about this. I am just trying to make it clear since I went through this years ago when I first started in dslr cameras. I used to think a better body meant better pictures. not so. a quality lens will last a lifetime. a dslr body will fail evetually, just a matter of time.

go for the nikon! and make sure to shoot a lot. ;)

I appreciate your input a lot. I agree. I think the Nikon lens will produce much better images.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back