Which lens to rent

exemplaria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm headed up north in a few weeks, and would like to rent a telephoto lens for shooting birds (mostly loons) and other wildlife. Here are my options, as I see it:

Rent the Sigma 50-500 or Tamron 200-500. Both are relatively cheap to rent and will get me to 500mm. I've used the Sigma before and like it well enough, plus the OS is likely helpful given many shots will probably be from a boat without a tripod.

Rent the Nikon 80-400 AF-S VR. Not as long, but it's a Nikon lens.

Rent the Nikon 300mm f/4. Even shorter, but I've always liked primes, and it'll be a bit faster at 300mm. Never shot with a long prime before, and I'm a little worried about finding my target without being able to zoom in/out.

Stick with my Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR. It'll be good enough.

Do something else (noting that renting the 300 f2.8 or 400 or 500mm nikon primes is not an option - too damn expensive).

All with a D7000. Weight not really an issue. Probably a 50/50 split between handheld/tripod shooting. Thanks.

BEST combination would be 400mm f2.8 and a 1.7xTC, second best would be the 300mm f4 and a 1.7xTC.

It's probably just me but I would opt for the 80-400 VR. It doesn't seem as long as some of the others (over all length size ) and the VR will help with hands free shots.

BEST combination would be 400mm f2.8 and a 1.7xTC, second best would be the 300mm f4 and a 1.7xTC.

I'm sure you're right, but let's not forget the weak link in the entire system here - the idiot behind the camera.

I'm sure you're right, but let's not forget the weak link in the entire system here - the idiot behind the camera.
Yeahbut, don't forget, toting a 400 2.8 automatically looks EVERY photographer look super-cool!

Why would anybody spend so much to rent a lens when they can just buy a used lens and resell it afterwards for what they paid for it?

Time. Transaction costs. Hassle. Maybe you've got access to a better lens marketplace than I do, but the presumption that I can sell it for what I bought it for seems dubious at best.

If you could get a tc14 as well i would pick the 300mm out of the lenses you shared

Most reactions

Back