Which lens to take with me: Samyang 14 or 24mm?

virginie24jb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

So, I'm going to New Zealand in March next year to do a Working Holiday Visa, meaning that I intend to spend several months there and take the opportunity to photograph the night sky.
I'll be going with my Canon 6D and 24-105mm, as well as my Canon 70-200 f/4.

I'd like to take only one other lens and that's where I'm hesitating:

Samyang 24mm :
- I'll already have my 24-105 so it isn't really necessary to have a second lens at 24mm.
- Isn't the Milky way in NZ really high in the sky, and therefore maybe even too high to be able to photograph the core without having to do a panorama if I use the 24mm?
- The thing is... I just LOVE the look of the Milky Way with the Samyang 24mm; a lot more than the 14mm...

Samyang 14mm
- The Samyang 14mm will give me the opportunity to also have a wide angle lens.
- But again, I've come to love the look of the 24mm a lot more when it comes to Milky Way photos.

If you could only take one, what would you take ? :confused-72:

I`d take the 24mm as you can still get great wide shots with the Milky Way in the frame as well.

The Canon zoom at 24mm and the Samyang 24mm should more or less give you the same field of view. So my question is why you think you need to bring that with you?

Have you considered the Samyang 16mm? I have the Rokinon model and really like it for night shots.

The Canon zoom at 24mm and the Samyang 24mm should more or less give you the same field of view. So my question is why you think you need to bring that with you?
Basically, the only reason I'm considering bringing the Samyang 24mm is because I think the MW looks much better with this than with a wide angle lens like the 14mm and I really fear that I'll be disappointed and will regret not having it with me...:icon_confused:

you're already bringing a 24-105 and 70-200, why stop at three lenses? Both the Samyang primes are tiny, and you already require a decent sized bag to carry the camera and two big lenses...

you're already bringing a 24-105 and 70-200, why stop at three lenses? Both the Samyang primes are tiny, and you already require a decent sized bag to carry the camera and two big lenses...
Well they may not be too big, but they're not light either. I don't want to be carrying too much. The bag is limited to 7kg on the plane and I'll have other things to carry as well... The camera compartment isn't even big enough for the third lens. I don't want to be weighed down with all the gear.

I always put my camera bag in my carry-on which is a regular old backpack (D800, 24-70, and 70-200). never had an issue. Since you're there for a month, I'd try to bring as much as I'd think I'd actually use.

Have you considered leaving the 70-200 at home?

Since you're there for a month, I'd try to bring as much as I'd think I'd actually use.
Actually I'll be there for more than a month: hopefully it can go up to almost a year if everything goes well. I plan on moving around a lot and I'll do other things besides photography, like... working.

Have you considered leaving the 70-200 at home?
Nope. I think landscape with a telephoto zoom are really interesting and can give very nice results.

Most reactions

Back