Which lens to take?

TonyUSA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am about to visit Japan agin soon and never take DSLR with me before due to the size and hate to carry stuffs while I am traveling. I will take it this time just for walk around photos. I am going to take 5D and one lens with me, would 16-35mm f4 be best for what I own? And don't even think to take 430 flash with me either. Please advise.

Of the lenses you own. I suppose that's the one to take, if you were to take only 1.

If I were to take a trip like that and I had the lenses you have, I would consider picking up a new lens for the trip. I'd look for something in the 18-70 to 18-100 ranges.

When I took my 1st trip to Disney World with a DSLR I picked up my 18-105.

Thank you.

I am about to visit Japan agin soon and never take DSLR with me before due to the size and hate to carry stuffs while I am traveling. I will take it this time just for walk around photos. I am going to take 5D and one lens with me, would 16-35mm f4 be best for what I own? And don't even think to take 430 flash with me either. Please advise.

if you 'hate to carry stuff" get a mirrorless camera ... small ... light ... and can easily use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

if you 'hate to carry stuff" get a mirrorless camera ... small ... light ... and can easily use the big DSLR lens

Or just use your phone for photos on the trip and enjoy the experience without being focused on a camera.

Unless my trip revolves around photography I don’t carry a DSLR on vacation, my iPhone does great for travel photos.

I'm sure whatever lens you take will be the best one.

Where in Japan are you going, what are you going to be doing? If you're going to just be out in the wilderness, hiking or whatever, then the 16-35 is probably fine. If you're going to be in a city or somewhere with a lot of temples, I'd rather bring something that can zoom a little farther, maybe a 24-105 or something like that.

Or just use your phone for photos on the trip and enjoy the experience without being focused on a camera.

Unless my trip revolves around photography I don’t carry a DSLR on vacation, my iPhone does great for travel photos.

Yes, that what I always did in the past. I was leaning not to bring DSLR this time also.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I've come to a compromise and usually carry a compact camera or a Micro43 camera.
I used a Lumix GM1 a few years back in London and took an EM5 II to Singapore last month.

Most reactions

Back