Which lens with Nikon D200?

The Last Spike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I will buy a Nikon D200 next month and I need some suggestion for the lens.
The kit comes with a Nikkor 18-70 and I would like to know if some of you already use it.
Since my main interest is landscape and architecture and I usually use a film camera with a 35mm lens, I was also thinking about the Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AF.
Anybody use these lens?
Any suggestion?
Thank you.
Giuseppe

I hear good things about the Nikon 18-200. should cover all your focal needs for landscape. Ken Rockwell gives it a great review, although I realize some people here do not particularly like Ken's opinions. give it a look and see what you think.

I know one of the versions of the 24mm f/2.8 has significant CA on a D2 body, not sure if it is the one you're talking about, sharp lens, though. Depending how wide you want, look at the 12-24, 17-35 or 17-55 Nikkors. Not a fan of the 18-200, but there are many that love it.
The 18-70 is a solid lens, especially in it's price range. The D200 will take it to it's limits, but it should provide decent results. You'll get some distortion, you'll see it in your architecture shots.

i wouldnt recommend a superzoom like the 18-200 for serious landscape work (especially if you were interested in a prime first)...take a look at some ultrawides, like the nikkor 12-24, tokina 12-24, or sigma 10-20mm. those will be very nice for wide landscapes.

the 12-24 is definatly solid, everyone i know who has one LOVES it. and definatly don't buy the 18-200, the sharpness won't be what you want. i have the 18-70 and have been happy with it only at the wide end really, i like faster glass. any time i'm over 50mm i just use my 85mm f/1.8.

if i were you i would hold out for the 12-24.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back