Which Lens?

TimeSlidesBy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here is my dilemma...I was almost ready to go out and buy a nifty fifty (Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF). But if I understand what I've been reading since I have a D60, it won't autofocus. So I'm thinking that I might hold off until the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S comes out in December.

I know its a $300 price difference but I'm thinking it might be a better buy for me. I'm a newbie and I take alot of children's pictures (ages 1 & 3) so I need to be quick to capture the shot.

So as hard as it is to wait, I'm thinking I will go for the 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G lens right now and wait a few months for my nifty fifty?

I bought a completely manual version, and manually focusing isn't that bad, but I can see it becoming frustrating for moving subjects.

However, you might consider buying a fully-manual 50mm f/1.8 AI/AI-S lens on eBay. It should cost you less than $50. Use it for a couple of months. By the time the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S comes out, if you decide manually metering and focusing is frustrating, buy it and sell the old one. Even if you can't sell it, then, at worst, you've lost $50, which you really haven't lost because you've gotten great pictures with it in the mean time.

I would agree with epp_b totally. For the kind of subjects I like taking photos of (cars i.e. dead things :p), manual focus and manual metering isn't a problem at all. Plus, the older lenses are still razor sharp. Try one in a used camera shop, and if you really hate it, wait for the AF-S version to come out.

Most reactions

Back