Which lens?

globe91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so its time that I get a new lens. More specifically a telephoto. I was thinking either the Nikon 70-210 f4 or the Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6 D. Which one should I get?

What's ur budget? If you have enough go for the 70-200 f/2.8

Yep, budget is all important here. IF you think that you're going to be involved in photography for a long time to come, and/or are likely to become more serious about it, then get the best (Read: Most expensive) one you can afford. Lenses, especially the manufacturer's lenses prices directly reflect their quality.

I'm not sure about your choices; AFAIK, Nikon no longer makes a 70-210 zoom in any aperture. They do make a 70-300 in both of the apertures you've listed however. Assuming your it fits into your budget, then I would go for the f4 version.

He means a 70-300 constant f4.

I would go for the 70-210 f/4 cause you might need the speed on the far end. I would look at some shots with the lens on flickr just to make sure you like what you see

I am not a Nikon guy, but I know a bit about their lenses and I don't see any 70-210mm lenses. I might just be missing something. Either way, it doesn't matter who makes the lens or what mount, first Jaszek is right on about the 2.8.

Second, always go with a constant aperture if it is a choice. There is little doubt a variable aperture on a lens can piss you off in low light.

Just my opinion.

-Nick

Both the lenses I listed are no longer in production by Nikon. They do fit into my budget quite well whereas the 70-200 f2.8 is way out of my budget.

So, what is your budget?

As mentioned already, at least three times, a constant aperture is a better choice IMO. Look on Craigslist, KEH.com, even Adorama and B&H sell used gear. Personally, I would buy used locally and physically inspect and shoot with it before handing over the cash.

How about the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8?

Well I would say my budget is around $200. With that said I am checking on craigslist as we speak.

Well you might check this guys site out. He has reviewed I think every lens Nikon made. Lens Evaluations it may hel you in your decision. I havent used either so I cant help much. I have it book marked when Im considering older glass.

Get the 70-210 f4 and don't look back.

They are tack sharp with awesome color and are MUCH lighter than the f2.8.

As the closer, they are SO available on spots like e-bay or camera shops that $200 is probably too much too pay for one
LWW

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back