Which Lens?

quickphotography78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to buy a lens for my daughter dance recital. I have no idea what I should get I own a Canon T2i, help please.

Thats like asking us to tell you what car to buy with no idea of where you travel? What lenses do you have are you really gonna spend a min of 600 or 700 for a lens that might be good for low light for one event? How do you want to use your camera mostly and what do you want to shoot most of the time? Are you looking for the best overall image quality or the best way to stretch your dollar? A low aperture lens of like a 2.8 zoom might be nice however you might do well with a fixed 50mm 1.8 aperture depending on where your able to sit while photographing the recital. You need to put alot more into your cry for help to get a good response.

What lens do you have now?

It will be in a low light setting. I am not sure how close I can get but last time only about 10 ft away.
My lenses EF 50mm f/1.8
EF-S 55-250mm
EF 75-300mm
EF-S 18-55mm

Before spending money to buy a lens, have you checked with the organizer to find out if camera or camcorders are allowed? My daughter has been dancing for almost three years now and the only time you can bring in your own camera is during the rehearsal.

A new lens won't help you if you don't know how to use the camera to get the best results. I am assuming that flash is not allowed? It usually isn't... So... You'll need to know how to get proper exposure without flash and using your camera and lens' abilities...
We also need to know your budget for this purchase

well depending where you are sitting an 85 f1.4/f1.8 might help. try something like this CANON EOS EF 85mm 1:1.8 AUTO FOCUS LENS NEW | eBay. the 85mm on a crop sensor should be good enough for the reach. keep in mind its a fixed lens but since it will be dark the 1.8 is wide open. try renting it first but i doubt you will be disapointed.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you ask specifically about "professional cameras"? I've been to events that said you couldn't have a professional camera, defined as a camera with changeable lenses. Just something to consider... I still have a Kodak super zoom camera around for those situations.

Yeah the camera I have is fine for the recital. We just are not allowed in the class room or rehearsals.

Most reactions

Back