Which lens?

maninyee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys!
I have a Nikon D5000 with the standard 18-55mm lens, but I would like to invest in a better lens for middle/high school basketball. I've been lurking through the forums for a while, and I've heard great things about the 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, and the 24-85 f/2.8-4. I shot from the first row a lot last year where 55mm was enough, but I'd like more variety so I plan to stand on the corner and baseline this season. I'm leaning towards the 24-85, but I'm afraid it won't always be fast enough. What lens do you guys use and reccomend? I'm in high school, so I can only afford one right now.

Thanks in advance.

The Nikon AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF lens does not have an auto focus motor in it, nor does your D5000. Which means - no auto focus function.

The Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR does have an auto focus motor in it, but is a slightly slower lens - f/3.5 to f/4.5.
f/2.8 to f/3.5 is only 2/3 of a stop, and f/4 to f/4.5 is only 1/3 of a stop.

ideally, you need 2 lenses and 2 camera bodies. One to capture action close to you - like the 24-85 mm, and the other to capture action at the other end of the court - like the 70-200 mm.

However, you can adopt the tactic of using just the 24-85 mm and concentrate on shooting the team that is coming towards the end of the court where you are so you get faces and expressions.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you know any lenses that have f/2.8 or faster with AF for my camera?

The good ol' nifty fifty(50mm 1.4G) is great for basketball, especially on a cropped sensor. This was taken with a D3s so you'll have more reach with the D5000.

121311tokaybearcreekbas.jpg

Do you know any lenses that have f/2.8 or faster with AF for my camera?
The Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 is a great action/sports lens however it's pretty pricey. I used mine with my D5100 before I got a new body.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into the two.

Though it is lacking the reach I would look into a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

Have you ever used this lens?

No, however, I have heard plenty of great things about it. For more reach you could look into the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.

Thanks. I definitely will. Planning to purchase a lens Wednesday

What's your budget? A 70-200 is at least 1300$. It will last you a life time. Every sports shooter has this lens.

Sigma also makes some less expensive alternatives. They have a 17-55 f2.8.

You could buy the 85 and the 50. One half shoot your side of the court, the other half shoot the far side n crop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back