Which lens?

arond24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello, some advice would be much obliged!

I have a d3400 and am looking for a prime lens that I will be shooting portrait and newborn shots with. Suggestions and whys? I was thinking a 35mm because from my understanding that would put me closer to 50mm on account of the crop sensor...

Thanks!

I'm not a portrait photographer, but... my understanding is that 35mm is not a great focal length for portraits. Something about facial feature distortion. Also I would think you would want to be able to be further away from your subjects. Someone right in your face with their camera can be very uncomfortable. I think you want at least 50mm if not something longer and known more for portraits like the 85mm. This is just what I have seen discussed on this forum. My favorite people shots have been taken with my 50mm or 100mm. Hopefully one of the portrait experts will chime in to help you.

Portrait range is generally considered to be from 50mm to 135mm focal length. 50mm is a bit short and 135 can be a bit long. My preferred length is in the 85mm range.
Question About Prime Lenses

The reason you don't see manufacturers selling "portrait" lenses is that there is no such thing. Any lens can take a portrait and I have used any lens at one time or another for the purpose. Most people prefer the foreshortening or flattening of perspective produced by backing away from the subject. The further you are from the subject, the flatter the perspective and the more "pleasant" the portrait.

So generally photographers use telephoto lenses for portraits. That allows them to back up but still fill the frame with the subject. How long should the lens be? That depends on how much distance you can put between you and the subject. I shoot outdoor portraits with a 300 mm lens. I might use a wide angle lens to shoot a newborn in a crib unless I have a ladder available.

If you are going to shoot indoor portraits you might do well with something like an 85mm lens on your Nikon 3400. A 50 would be good in tight spaces and the longer the better if you have the room to use longer.

So no rules, just some guidelines.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back