Which lense is best for indoor?

Ziess Distagon 35mm f/1.4.

something wide and fast, like a girl I dated for a bit.
maybe a nikon 14-24 f/2.8, or a tamron/sigma 17-50 f/2.8
you could also go with some primes like a 35mm f/1.8 or a 50mm f/1.8
unless the indoor area is very well and evenly lit, or you have some flashes, you want something with a large aperture if you want to expose your pictures properly.
if you are talking about a LARGE indoor area, you could get away with longer lenses, zoom or prime.
there really isnt one "best" lens. the area size and lighting conditions and number of people will determine what lens will work best in that situation, and often times multiple lenses will fill the role just as well.

something wide and fast, like a girl I dated for a bit.
maybe a nikon 14-24 f/2.8,

+1

If you don't have the coin to buy one, you can always rent it.

For regular indoor birthday type party, I think getting a flash that can bounced off the ceiling is a better option. Even a cheap 50 bucks manual power flash with kit lens can take some decent photos.

Help! I have the D5200, which lense is best for indoor party photos?

Didn't say what lenses you do have. As flash can help with slower kit lenses. Upping the light levels of location by turning on more lights. Barring that a more capable f2.8 zoom or fast prime would help.

Events,indoor I mostly go with zoom like my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 as first choice as up's the usability indoors and lower light situations. As many times inconvenient or impossible to feet zoom to compose with a crowd indoors without getting in the way.

For primes would mostly choose 35mm f1.8G over the 50mm f1.8 as can be a tad tight indoors.
And the 35mm gives me a bit more breathing room.

I think it depends on the type of party as well. Often I take photos with aperture set at f/5.6 to f/8 and use flash (even the lens can do f/2.8) just to have a enough DoF to cover the subject(s) I want to be sharp in the photo. Of course, I do swap it with a fast prime once in awhile for a specific shots. (Like head shots / half body shots for a person ).

I assume your question is best lens for party for a resonable price, I am assuming that because if money wouldnt be an issue you wouldnt have a D5200, you would probably have the D800E

Go with the 35mm 1.8 or if the party is going to be limited amount of people then you might even get away with the 50mm.

Indeed if you will have an external glash you can easily get away with the 18-55mm or 18-105mm kit lens.

Most reactions

Back