which lense to take in safari?? leaving in a day!

danahhh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am wondering which of my 2 sigma lenses to take on safari..
They are both older ones, analog but I havent saved enought yet for my first digital SLR.
So I have either a Sigma APO zoom macro 70 - 300 f4-5.6
or a sigma 28- 200 zoom f 3.8-5.6

I really dont know which is the better quality lense since i inherited this camera kit..
Any help would be great or tips on how to know a good quality lense when you see it.

Thanks!!!

I'm no expert on either of those specific lenses, but I have the Nikon 70-300. I have used it the most for zoo and wildlife shots where I either couldn't or wouldn't want to get too close. I do tend to use the further ends past 200, but the lens does seem to struggle at 300 for clarity.

I'm not familiar with the 28-200 at all.

I think on both you will have a hard time if you are in any kind of cover like a jungle since they are a 3.8-4.0 without a flash.

Analog lenses? Huh?

I'd take the 70-300, you'll want that reach. Do you have nothing to cover the wider angles to go along with the long zoom?

yeah i do have a canon powershot digi for the other types of shots

You definitely want something under 70mm anywhere you go.

Edit: IMO

I would say 28-200 reason being even though it is a safari there should be some FANTASTIC landscape possibilites that might be defunct limiting your low end to 70mm. How about picking up a 2x teleconverter if it's feasible.

Why not take both?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back