Which lenses for trip to Italy and Greece next year???

mdsphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings to all,

I am throwing this question out to the Forum for input as to which, of my lenses, I should take with us during our trip to Italy and Greece. I will say that I have one picked out already and that is my Tokina 11-16mm F2.8. Want that wide angle to capture the scenery of Santorini, Colosseum, Parthenon,Trevi Fountain, Acropolis, etc. But what about the others? I'm trying to keep the packing light and here are my remaining choices of which I thinking of one more.

1.Canon 28-80mm
2.Canon 50mm (thinking no)
3.Canon 18-55mm
4.Canon 75-300mm

Thanks in advance

Mark

Since you only want two lenses, and you have one picked out already, I’d personally go for the 28-80. This covers 50. Unless you spend a significant amount of time between 16-28, you already have wide. The 28-80 will provide a decent enough range for travel.

If you like telephoto, then take the 75-300, but you’ll be missing 16-75, which kinda hurts for travel, IMO.

Otherwise, you could always opt for one of the 18 to big mm lenses that are do it all, but you’ll sacrifice IQ.

You didn't say if you're using a crop or a full frame. If you have a crop look to the Sigma 50-100 I think 1.8, and forget the rest? Might work for you.

If you are open to buying another lens, I suggest the 18-135.
It is a great GP lens.
Then just use the 11-16 for the WIDE shots.

Otherwise the 28-80.

The 11-16 is an amazing lens, its one of my favorites, and one of the ones I use the most. The second lens I use a lot is a Sigma 30mm 1.4.
30 mm is a "normal" lens on a crop sensor. It gives you a natural perspective. So I would go with either your 18-55 or your 28-80.

These are basically the same lens as far as build and purpose, the 18-55 was a crop sensor version of the 28-80 kit lens. I think your 28-80 might be your best bet. The 11-16, at 16 is a regular wide angle, you can still take normal pictures of people and places just as you would at the wide end of the 18-55, just take one step forward, and the quality on the Tokina is much higher. The 28-80 at the short end is your "storytelling" angle, and it might also be nice to have the extra reach of the 80mm end. Now it has been a while since I have used either of these zooms, But I think at the same focal length, let say 35-40 mm The 28-80 will have a larger maximum aperture than the 18-55, so there is added benefit to using the 28-80 in gathering more light, and being able to stop down for a sharper image.

My vote is the 28-80.

All of them. Take all of them.

As much as I agree with this, there may be other limiting factors and convenience involved. Is it a Vacation, Business trip, or a Photography trip? If I went on an African safari, I would bring everything and rent some long glass, but maybe not for an average trip.

I leave in 2 days for a vacation and a wedding, NYC and Upstate NY, and I'm only going to bring my Olympus E-PL1 and 20mm 1.7. My Canon and all of my lenses will not fit in a backpack, and this is an enjoyable vacation first(well maybe one of my best friends weddings first, but timeline wise we are doing vacation first), fancy restaurants and Broadway shows second, photos as a nice afterthought. Spending time with my boyfriend, friends and family are the main goals, so having the biggest, best, most, and newest gear is not that important. Also its awkward to go to dinner at a fancy restaurant or some museums with a trunk full of gear. That being said, I never used the old PEN much so I bought a used 20mm 1.7, knowing that would be my best unobtrusive combo to take good photos, and not get in the way. I have not done a lot of photography in the last few years so I hope this re-kindles my spirit, but I think if I brought my whole canon kit, I would feel too bogged down and not even bother taking a camera with me knowing it would be inconvenient doing other things than just taking photos. Picking the right tool for the job is going to be different for each person and each situation.

As much as I agree with this, there may be other limiting factors and convenience involved. Is it a Vacation, Business trip, or a Photography trip? If I went on an African safari, I would bring everything and rent some long glass, but maybe not for an average trip.

I leave in 2 days for a vacation and a wedding, NYC and Upstate NY, and I'm only going to bring my Olympus E-PL1 and 20mm 1.7. My Canon and all of my lenses will not fit in a backpack, and this is an enjoyable vacation first(well maybe one of my best friends weddings first, but timeline wise we are doing vacation first), fancy restaurants and Broadway shows second, photos as a nice afterthought. Spending time with my boyfriend, friends and family are the main goals, so having the biggest, best, most, and newest gear is not that important. Also its awkward to go to dinner at a fancy restaurant or some museums with a trunk full of gear. That being said, I never used the old PEN much so I bought a used 20mm 1.7, knowing that would be my best unobtrusive combo to take good photos, and not get in the way. I have not done a lot of photography in the last few years so I hope this re-kindles my spirit, but I think if I brought my whole canon kit, I would feel too bogged down and not even bother taking a camera with me knowing it would be inconvenient doing other things than just taking photos. Picking the right tool for the job is going to be different for each person and each situation.
The dude's entire lens kit will fit into a tiny waist pack or a small camera bag. The entire kit does not require a trunk to fit it in. This is not a "trunk full of gear." So, your hyperbolic exclamation makes little sense, about being in a restaurant with "a trunk full of gear", when in reality his entire kit will fit inside his jacket pockets.

I'd take the 18-55 and the 75-300. IMHO the 11-16 is a special purpose lens for exaggerated wide angle effects.

I traveled Greece with my 24-70 and 70-200. I used the 200mm like (2) times the entire 2 weeks...

I traveled London/Italy with a 16-50mm (crop) and if anything just wish i could go wider in the churches -- never really needed longer.

If you're with family, and vacationing, I'd suggest the least amount of equipment you can get away with. Youre going to hate carrying around a big bag and switching lenses.

All the locations you mention, I wanted wider than 16mm offered.

I had to stitch the Trevi Fountain (stitch, 16mm) and Colosseum (stitch, 16mm).

my Rome shots: Rome, Italy

my Santorini shots: Santorini, Greece

look at my EXIF (rome was crop, greece was FX)

Most reactions

Back