Which lenses to bring?

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So as I've said in another thread, I'll beg going to Ireland for about 10 days to do 10 days of horse riding, both trekking and galloping along the beach, as well as a bit of show jumping. I shoot a Nikon D7000.

I want to travel as lightly as possible because it's actually impossible for me to carry more than probably 3 lenses as I can only bring a small backpack.

Can someone recommend me a nice wide angle lens to bring? I was thinking either the Nikon 12-24 or the Tokina 11-17 fisheye.. If you were to go, which one would you pick? Other recommendations?

The other part I will be shooting will be riding photos and some children doing show jumping. I was thinking of using a 70-200 f/2.8 for it. But I was wondering if it was possible to just use a 70-300, or maybe even an 100-400 because the added range could be helpful. For anyone that has shot riding action shots, which lens did you use? Do you have one to recommend?

And finally, I'm wondering if I need to bring my 24-70 2.8. Or would it be redundant.

I've always been happy with the 24-70 and 70-200 as my "minimum" travel kit. Those and a flash with cord. I have a wider lens than the 24-70, but for what I usually shoot I don't find myself wishing I had it with me when traveling light.

Bring the 24-70 f/2.8. I doubt you will need anything wider than 24mm. (assuming it is not multiplied up to something less than a true wide angle; I'm not sure of the sensor size on your camera) When I am touring and shooting in Europe, I mostly am reaching for wide angle. 28mm usually does it. 24mm would be better. Less than 24mm? Probably not.

Horses are some big damned animals, and you'll be able to get pretty close. I don't think you need a super-power telephoto. A 70-200 f/2.8 would be ideal, I think, if you don't mind carrying the beast. ;)

Thanks guys!

I think I need a wider lens than 24-70 because I'm shooting a crop sensor D7000. The magnification is 1.5 times so my 24 becomes a 36 which is really not wide enough I think. Especially if I'm shooting mostly scenery being in the countryside and riding through the ocean to uninhabited islands.

I can't use a flash because the horses spook and it becomes unsafe for the riders. Especially children that can't control horses as well. So I won't be bringing a flash.

I'm not sure if I can get close enough to the horses to use my 24-70 for jumping action because I have to stay out of the ring to shoot.

Bring something that is at least as wide as a 28mm in 35mm format. You'll want it for scenery, I think. Sometimes in Europe, there is a big, beautiful church or castle right across the street from some other building, with no room to back up.

It's a good point in your other thread about the action shots and having a fast camera.

Less is more.
When I'm going to work, I bring 90% of gear I have. When my wife and I are shooting together, then there's no photo-related gear (except few AA chargers) left at home. However, on family trips: I grab my D90 w/ 18-105, sb600, 50mm, 8-AA batteries w/ charger + 4AA in the flash , spare camera battery and a charger. My kid's diaper bag is bigger then the camera bag.

I'd be upset if something happens with D90, but I'm not going to cry over 18-105 lens. It is good enough for vacations and cheap enough to (if worst case scenario) to be replaced. 50 1.8 - GREAT quality lens but again cheap enough to be replaced.

Less is more :)

Good Luck

^^^ 100% agree with the less is more.

Funny... I'm heading to Ireland in May / June.

I'm doing mostly city urban shooting and landscapes style stuff... typical Ireland I guess.
I plan on mainly having what I usually carry when I city walk here... 16-35 and a 50 1.4. I shoot a 5D2

I never bring my 70-200 with me. Too heavy and cumbersome for travel. I'll probably have my 24-70 as well, but if I really had to chose, the 16-35 and 50 would be my lenses of choice.

**thats on a Canon. I guess the 14-24 would be good for a full frame Nikon.
I've heard awesome things of the Sigma 10-20 for Nikons

I wouldn't get the fisheye. I have an 8mm fisheye, and it's a lot of fun for cool effects, but not great for travel photography. I've heard good things about the tokina 11-16 mm though, that might be worth a look

Most reactions

New Topics

Back