which lenses to ditch?

timbo59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As noted elsewhere, I recently picked up a D7000 package that included a number of DX lenses, two of which are more or less standard kit variants that pad out the basic zoom range - an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G II ED and an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 4.5-5.6G ED VR. The other is the AF 50mm 1.8D.

I really only wanted the camera and MB-D11 battery pack, so I'm weighing up which of the lenses to sell and which to keep, taking into account the glass I already have stashed aside from decades of film photography and my first foray into digital via a D70. The other DX lenses I own are the wonderful 10.5mm which I use for spherical photography and the stock zoom that came with the D70, the AF-S 18-70mm 3.5-4.5G ED.

I have about 15 other lenses, a mix of manual and AF lenses, and the ones that come into the equation are the AF Nikkor 75-300 4.5-5.6, the AF Nikkor 70-210mm 4-5.6D (when I have the space I take the former, when I want something compact I take the latter) and finally the AF Nikkor 28-85mm 3.5-4.5. Anything wider I can toss in my favourite old wide angle, the 20mm f4. Anything longer and I attach my old Vivitar 100-500mm Series 1 zoom - though that's very seldom.

At this particular point it seems a no-brainer to just ditch the two DX zooms the camera came with (or keep the wider zoom and ditch the zoom the D70 came with) and perhaps the 50mm. I don't have a 50mm in my collection, but through the years I have never really had an interest in keeping one around for the odd occasions I might need the extra speed - 99% of my photography is either landscape or abstract! Same reason I've never felt a pressing need for VR.

Just ditch the ones you don't use

The 18-55 is a sharp little lens, at least the one with the VR one. I would ditch the longer one and start building from the top with zooms.

Hey, I got a ditch. Send me the ones you don't want, and I'll throw them in

I'd definitely dump the 55-200. I had one and it wasn't very sharp and you have the range already covered. I'd also ditch the 18-55 even though it is sharp, but so is the 18-70.

The 75-300 is a nice lens for sharpness though slow focusing - I had one. Loved it.
So Keep the 75-300, 50, 18-70, 20mm as those are all nice lenses.
Keep the 100-500 because when you need the reach and don't have it, well, keep the 100-500.

Just ditch the ones you don't use
This really is the best advice, what you need keep, what you don't - sell, you know best what is worth keeping and what should be sold.

Do you ever use the 28-85? I have one sitting around too, keeping it in case I ever get a FX body.

Hey, I got a ditch. Send me the ones you don't want, and I'll throw them in

Hey no worries, send me an address and I'll ship them straight on, with all my love.

@Greaybeard. All the time. On my F5 the standard lenses I carry in my camera backpack are the AF 75-300, the AF 28-85, and my 20mm, 28mm, and 105mm AF Micro, together with my nod to digital via the D70 and the DX 10.5mm and DX55 - 70mm zoom. I also take a laptop, slipped into the inner pocket. If I'm going lighter with a shoulder bag I ditch the laptop, the 105 and 75-300 and take the smaller 70-210. Once I can afford a really good quality FX (it's more or less what I've been holding out for all these years through the DX days) I'll finally make the full transition over to digital and just keep the D7000/10.5mm combo as a dedicated spherical photography camera. Then I can semi-retire my Coolscan V!

@ Astro. I guess that's the way I'm inclined to go. I probably should have been clearer in my post in terms of trying to say was there any justification in keeping the two DX kit lenses, because there's no way I'm giving up my older glass unless Nikon comes along with a cast iron argument to toss them aside in favour of superior products, and I'm not seeing that in any of the reviews I glossed through regarding those two lenses - and that's just at DX level. As you pointed out, the 75-300 gives great results, as does the 28-85, and the 20mm is a legend, while the issue of fast focus is not one that concerns me. Also bear in mind that I still shoot film, which is another reason I wouldn't give up the older lenses for use on my F5. Bottom line is that I more or less have all bases covered for the D7000 via the older but good quality zooms, and much as I'm a lens hog I can't see the point to keeping the two DX lenses when I already have duplication via the AF 75-300 and AF 70-210. I thought/hoped someone might put up an argument for keeping the two DX lenses so that the lens hoarder in me wouldn't feel so bad at selling them off!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back