Which Lenses to Get With Nikon D3100 ?

Free yourself of the negativity stemming from your drug habit.

Free yourself of the negativity stemming from your drug habit.

Free yourself of your lack of intelligence and respect for other members stemming from your ignorance.

You've made yourself easily disliked by several members in shortly under a month here. 149 posts and not a single liked post. You seem to be on the right track. Good job! (Assuming that's what you were going for)

right now I really need it more for product photography, but I also want to learn to use it for landscapes, outdoor portraits as well as macro.

Which kind of products? Table-top or room size...? Outdoor portraits, 'macros' and isolated habitat shots within landscape can all be a lens around 80-105 but 'macro' lenses usually aren't so great for portraits with nicely rendered OOF (out of focus) backgrounds. One exception is a lens i posted here yesterday is the plastic fantastic Cosina 3.5/100 macro. Nikon made a 3.5-4.5 28-70 D which is a great, cheap zoom, can be used close-up and has a 9 blade ID which gives 'ok' bokeh in shape but not brilliant in terms of pattern.

Easy guys, if that's your way to impress newcomers it's not working m'kay? :p

@AUG19 my products are mostly notebooks, computer motherboards and such, but I think the 18-55mm would be enough for that. I'm interested about that Cosina lens you mentioned, do you know where I can get one, and how much would it cost?

Of all the other photography styles I've numbered I don't know what exactly I want to do, so I accept suggestions as a beginner what style would be the best to begin with and which lens should be next on list?

Spiritfly, just use your camera for a while and then you'll be better able to tell which lens you need next. (I've never been impressed with the 18-105mm btw) And don't mind the nattering nabobs of negativity, some people get cranky when they don't get their spanky.

Spiritfly, just use your camera for a while and then you'll be better able to tell which lens you need next. (I've never been impressed with the 18-105mm btw) And don't mind the nattering nabobs of negativity, some people get cranky when they don't get their spanky.

Thanks Mike_E, that's just what I'm gonna do! In the mean time I will post some amateur pictures to be laughed at! :)

Hello all, I'm new to this site and have one or two questions, regarding the original post, so I thought I would hijack this thread :)

I too am new to the DSLR world and have picked myself a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm VR lens. However, I kinda wish I had bought another lens to go with it, for longer distance shots,
so... here is my question......
Will a AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED fit and work with this camera?
perhaps a Nikon Nikkor 70-300 f/4~F5.5G??
or a NIKKOR AFS 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED VR

Could you please let me know which one I should be going for, being a newbie and all, I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance :)

Hello all, I'm new to this site and have one or two questions, regarding the original post, so I thought I would hijack this thread :)

I too am new to the DSLR world and have picked myself a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm VR lens. However, I kinda wish I had bought another lens to go with it, for longer distance shots,
so... here is my question......
Will a AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED fit and work with this camera?
perhaps a Nikon Nikkor 70-300 f/4~F5.5G??
or a NIKKOR AFS 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED VR

Could you please let me know which one I should be going for, being a newbie and all, I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance :)

Good question. I would recommend this one; NIKKOR AFS 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED VR, from your list. I have read at least one great extensive review and lots of customer / buyer reviews. Yes, it will work with your D3100 and you probably need the included VR with this model (or at least Vibration Reduction will be helpful). I found the 70-300 hard to make a good image without a tripod. I think the wide end (55mm-) of the 55-200 will be nice for walking around like on vacation.

2199 Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Standard Auto Focus Nikkor Lens - U.S.A. Warranty
It'd be fun to zoom to 300mm, but unless you study birds, such shots will comprise a low percentage of your overall portfolio. Most people take pictures of people they know and can approach if need be. Get a prime lens that allows in enough light for interior shots that you don't have to throw a big flash upon them.
I bought the linked lens and love it. VR on it would've been great to take video at dawn without a tripod, but can't complain too much for the price.

my answer to the thread title:

"all of them"

I also would recommend you keep 18-55. I thought the image quality of 18-105 would be superior to the 18-55, i found images are not always sharp and sometimes color is not that good!

Hi, I'm new to this group. I've a similar question. I've a d3100 with 18-55mm lens. But i'm unable to get the pics the way I want...macro shots, shallow DOF. I wanted to know your view :

1. Is it that i'm unable to use my camera and lens (18-55) to the best? Or

2. Do I need to buy a new lens? which is suggested.

Thank You.

Most reactions

Back