Which lighting modifier

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, here's the deal. I have some medium sized umbrellas, and a few 24 inch softboxes, 24 inch reflectors, etc. but it's all really only big enough for head and shoulder shots. I really wanna start doing some more full body portraits, but I'm gonna have to purchase a lighting modifier to do so properly.

Keep in mind that I'm using nothing but speedlights, what do you reccomend? I've seen alot of people using large octoboxes for this, or larger softboxes, which is probably the route I'll go (just use multiple flashes to get enough light in it). But is there a specific one that you'd reccomend? Or something different entirely?

Put two flashes together, both at about half power using your softbox. set the softbox about 5-6 feet from the subject. 1/125 sec, f/5.6. That being the starting point, readjust as needed.

Put two flashes together, both at about half power using your softbox. set the softbox about 5-6 feet from the subject. 1/125 sec, f/5.6. That being the starting point, readjust as needed.

Did you even bother to read my post? I'm not asking how to do it. I know what camera settings to use, and yours aren't correct for my situation anyway.

I'm not asking HOW to do it. I know that part. I'm simply in the market for a larger modifier (the biggest thing I use now is a 24 in. softbox. That's NOT big enough for full body shots.

I'm looking into the Paul Bluff PLM (64"). Or maybe just a larger softbox. I'm asking for reccomendations on modifiers, NOT on how to use the ones I already have.

Yes, by all means, jump all over someone for their response. Granted it didn't answer your question, but that's no reason to get hostile. What's wrong with "Thanks, but what I was asking about was..." ?

Last edited:
I have been thinking of getting a bigger modifier too, but how many speedlights do think you will need to light the PLM? I am thinking all 4 of your lights...

Are you planning to use this indoors or outdoors (both)? Have you looked into panels or do you not want to bother with that? Does kind of suck jumping on the guy for trying to help out but that is expected here as some have set the trend, but we don't have to be that way.
-
Shoot well, Joe

joealcantar said:
Are you planning to use this indoors or outdoors (both)? Have you looked into panels or do you not want to bother with that? Does kind of suck jumping on the guy for trying to help out but that is expected here as some have set the trend, but we don't have to be that way.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Both, but primarily outdoors.

joealcantar said:
-
Shoot well, Joe

Both, but primarily outdoors.

More diffues modifiers will eat more light and with three speedlights, you're going to be pushing it. If you really want to stick with speedlights, the modifiers are going to have to be close for outdoor shots. Kacey Enterprises sells a 22" beauty dish that can be used with two speedlights.

I wonder if you really need something all too big if you're shooting outdoors, unless it's dark. But if you think you do, something like a 60" shoot through umbrella would be worth considering. There are ultiple brands out there. Quick set-up. Watch out for wind. Very sturdy light stand and lots of weight. :)

Most reactions

Back