Which memory card is the best for me?

UjaiDidida

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there the people of TPF. I need some need help

I'm using a Canon 100D/SL1 with a SanDisk Ultra 16GB 40MB/s and I usually shoot urban landscape, timelapse photography and quick burst in some event.

I can afford any memory card and I'm thinking of owning the best memory card for my camera. All I need is a large storage space and quick transfer speed but I've no idea which memory card is more than the 100D can handle.

I prefer Sandisk but suggestion for other brands are welcomed. Helps really appreciated, thank you :)

Hi UjaiDidida,

My suggestion would be this SanDisk 32GB Extreme UHS-I U3 SDHC Memory Card SDSDXN-032G-G46

You can also go for the 64Gb but I would stick with 32Gb and purchase another 32Gb.
I like the habit of filling up the 32Gb because it makes me back it up often. I know some people who even went for 16Gb versions. This card can also support 4K shooting for future proof but even the 100D doesn't shoot 4K so you can go for a cheaper card. But this one is good enough as it has good speeds.

First, I would start by getting on your camera manufacturers web site and finding out what they recommend you use. There are plenty of fast cards out there but I would never buy one that my camera manufacturer has not tested and approved for use. Then I would get the fastest I could afford. Storage size is a personal thing. In my D4s, I use 64GB. In my D800, 128GB.

Unless I'm mistaken surely speed is directly related to frame buffer size a fast card can't write any faster than the camera.

Hi mogahdsian15, thanks for the feedback.

Timelapse photography requires a very large storage capacity so I will look for the one you've suggested (64GB). I'm just confused with the class and the read/write speed. May I know if this 64GB Sandisks are better or too much?

Extreme
SanDisk Extreme SDHC and SDXC UHS-I card

Extreme Plus
SanDisk Extreme PLUS SDHC and SDXC UHS-I card

Extreme Pro
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC and SDXC UHS-I Memory Cards by SanDisk

According to the Canon website, your camera supports the following: SD, SDHC or SDXC (UHS-I)card.

I found this article that best explains what are the different type of speeds. Just scroll down a bit. How To Buy the Right Memory Card for Your Camera SD Card Speeds Explained - Tested

Most reactions

Back