Which neutral density filter for a beginner?

Fraser78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings all. I'm about to purchase a neutral density filter--primarily, I foresee using it to play with longer shutter speeds on waterfall and beach shots. If I were to just purchase one to start, which optical density would be the best one to start with? .3? .6? Something else? Thanks!

Sorry if this sounds kind of snooty, but it's kind of like asking, "as a beginner who will only be able to use one, which aperture should I use?"

There's really just no telling beforehand like that. Which ND to use depends on the shot you want to get and the circumstances you want to get it in at the time and place you're about to shoot. All things being equal, you'll need a more dense filter for a longer shot. The question is, given the ISO, shutter speed and aperture that you choose for the shot, how much ND will you need to compensate so that you can shoot those parameters to get the composition you want?

The answer is: It's going to vary. That's why most people get a few different NDs that they can choose from and even stack, or go all out and get a variable ND that lets them dial from 2 to 8 stops.

Wish I had a more direct answer for you, but that's what you're dealing with on ND filters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back