Which new lens?

tommygonzalez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I am already using a canon and canon lenses. What is your opinion on using third party lenses?

Sigma or Tamron. Zeiss also makes lenses for Canon but your not to that level yet. Tamron would be the cheapest alternative and you still get good quality build and sharpness. Rokinon makes nice lenses too but all are manual focus but the cost is very nice. They make a great 85mm f1.4.

Many fine non-Canon lenses out there. Just figure what you need out of a lens and start researching. There are a ton of reviews on just about every lens out there.

It just depends on the lens. I have an arsenal of non Canon lenses. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all make some excellent lenses. I am sure you're looking at the savings factor, so Zeiss probably isn't what you are looking at.

Lots of quality out there, there is no justifiable reason not to use a non camera brand lens.
I use the EOS line of bodies, but have canon, tamron and sigma lenses.

Of course it depends on the specific lens choice itself (ie zoom range, primary, max aperature), for which to choose and which works best for your purposes.

I am sure you're looking at the savings factor, so Zeiss probably isn't what you are looking at.

As well as the USABILITY factor. I don't get why people post about Zeiss lenses for people that aren't movie makers or still life photographers. The price point is so high, and the ease of every day, practical use is fairly low.

Manual focus is cool and all, but also kind of useless if the majority of people buy DSLR cameras expecting them to autofocus with their lenses.

Thanks for the help! I will definitely be looking at the brands suggested

If you're a student you can get a sweet discount on Sigma products off the already low bhphoto prices: bhphoto.com/edu

I am sure you're looking at the savings factor, so Zeiss probably isn't what you are looking at.

As well as the USABILITY factor. I don't get why people post about Zeiss lenses for people that aren't movie makers or still life photographers. The price point is so high, and the ease of every day, practical use is fairly low.

Manual focus is cool and all, but also kind of useless if the majority of people buy DSLR cameras expecting them to autofocus with their lenses.

Would it be the same reasons for why people drive Harleys?

Or "ride" them perhaps? =)

Or "ride" them perhaps? =)

oops .. yes SIR!

I like my Zeiss... they are less practical, but for the stuff they're good at, they're irreplaceable. They're not for shooting sports, or toddlers, but in the end I like them better than my autofocus lenses most of the time. It's all a personal preference thing.

:D

Well the only think I can of people ride ( :D ) a Harley is because it is Harley. A symbol or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back