Which Nikon is Best, D.....

Simon

Always Learning
Reaction score
Website
www.gosnap.co.uk
I have had a Nikon D50 for about 5 months now and I'm thinking of upgrading to the D70s.

I am after your views on the benefits for the D70s over the D50.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks JonMikal,

I did a lot of research before buying the D50 and spent a lot of time reading useful threads on here, but because I was new to photography and didnt know how addictive it could be, I went for the cheaper option out of the two in case my interest only lasted a couple of months.

So I want to buy the D70s but I'm intrested to know if I would really benefit by spending several hundreds of pounds.

I welcome any other view's, or could I make do with the D50 until I have more experience.

i shoot a d70s as well as the d50. if you're somewhat strapped for cash, i'd stay with the 50. there will be no benefit to image quality by stepping up...that should be highly considered. otherwise, if you have the funds, might as well get the extras that make it more user friendly ;)

Great,
do you think it is worth paying the extra for the 18 - 70 lens or just use the 18 - 55 that came with the D50 and just buy the D70s body?

I have been told the 18 - 70 lens is much better.

hi simon,
i agree with what jm is saying... i own a D50 and if i had plenty of cash to spend on photog stuff i would certainly consider a D70s.... but as i am now, which is being able to spend a little every so often i would definately stick with my D50 and just get better glass. I think that would make a bigger difference to my shooting options and quality.

As for as the 18-70, i would get it if i had the spare money cuz it is suppose to be a good one, but again as i am now, i would go for a more specific lens, i would recomend the 50mm 1.8 or a good wideangle or maybe tele lens... depends what your shooting.

Archangel said:
hi simon,
i agree with what jm is saying... i own a D50 and if i had plenty of cash to spend on photog stuff i would certainly consider a D70s.... but as i am now, which is being able to spend a little every so often i would definately stick with my D50 and just get better glass. I think that would make a bigger difference to my shooting options and quality.

As for as the 18-70, i would get it if i had the spare money cuz it is suppose to be a good one, but again as i am now, i would go for a more specific lens, i would recomend the 50mm 1.8 or a good wideangle or maybe tele lens... depends what your shooting.

:thumbup:

Why not just go all out and get a D100?

Seriously though, IMHO, stick with the D50, the gains are going to be minimal and you'll advance your photography further by spending the money on a trip to some nice photographic places.

Thanks guys for the replies,

Being new to this I don't understands lenses to well.

I like to shoot landscapes both day and night, I also like close-up shots and portraits. Choosing lenses is something I don't understand yet as I am very much in the experimentale stages.

Maybe you would be kind enough to offer advice on the types of shots i like to take.

ok, if i were you i'd get the 50mm 1.8, for the portraits and general stuff. Then for the close up shots, you could either get some extension tubes (to fit between your cam and lens), to gain the ability to shoot close in with the 50mm lens, or, the one im using isn't bad the sigma 70-300 super macro II, which has the bonus of also being a long zoom lens. A dedicated macro lens is another option.
As for the wide, the lower mm number the better becuase the digital sensor in the D50 will increase this number anyway.
I dont own a decent wideangle (need to save) but something like a 12-24mm is real nice.... however they are very expensive.

I would stick with the D50 and spend some money on good glass instead. It’s great fun to chase the latest product from Nikon (or Canon for that matter), but if the end result is the same as what you started with… What is the point? As JonMikal stated, resolution differences between the D70s and D50 are moot, so your prints will not benefit much from the purchase of a D70s.

Master that D50 and buy some good glass for it. Just my .02.

Bigfatbadger.
My other reason for considering the D70s is that I went to the Cotswolds to take some good landscapes, problem was my D50 decided to go wrong, I took a spare camera but only have a canon A80 so was very limited.

So to have another DSLR as a spare is worth it for me as the trip cost around £400 and 2 days were wasted.

I do see your point thought, when I researched buying a DSLR there seemed little difference between the D50 and D70s.

Archangel
After you advice and tips I have spent time researching lenses, There is a massive choice so I will need to spend more time on this before deciding.

DepthAfield
Thank you for your view and echoing others, It seems very clear that I need to understand what lenses I need for the shots I like.

I have read that some zoom lenses are as good as prime lenses, does any of you share this experience? I know archangel like his 50mm 1.8 and I have also read this is a good lens.

What is your experience?

What went wrong with it? I'm only asking because I've just got one and want to avoid the issue if possible!

Sorry if I sounded a bit curt, I just get a bit wound up by the companies convincing us that we need to buy new things all the time.

I kept getting CHK error which is supposed to mean the SD card is locked, which is was not. They relaced the card and very quickly I got the same error. They then replaced the camera lens and battery and have not had a problem since. Fingers crossed though.

I know what you mean, they make it tempting to upgrade, I'd like the D200, but I'm not at that level yet so thought I would go for the D70s, checked one out today, the feel is much better plus the extra widgets makes it tempting.

Decided to get 70-300 f4-5.6 and 20mm 1.8 wide angle lens instead, just waiting to get out and try them now.

Did you get the D50 or D70s?

D50, just been to the lakes with it for a week, I bloody love it.

I've got the 70-300 as well, it's alright as a long zoom, but you'll soon want a bigger aperture one, then you'll have to remortgage your house

Most reactions

New Topics

Back