Which Nikon Macro Lens?

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to finally add a new macro lens to my collection for close shots of wedding details (rings, flowers, table directions, etc) and I'm debating between Nikon's 40mm Macro and their older 60mm. I realize the 40mm is a DX format lens but I use both FX and DX cameras so it's not an issue. I've heard great things about the 60mm but not many reviews on the 40mm. Does anyone have one? Is it pretty sharp?

I would go with at least a 100. You will have to get really close with a 40 or 60 and sometimes that makes the difference in getting the shot. Based on all of my research, the Tokina 100 is one of the best and at an awesome price. Just thought I would throw out an alternative for you to consider.

I would go with at least a 100. You will have to get really close with a 40 or 60 and sometimes that makes the difference in getting the shot. Based on all of my research, the Tokina 100 is one of the best and at an awesome price. Just thought I would throw out an alternative for you to consider.

Seems like it has good reviews, I'll look into it more. thanks!

A shot macro foerces you to be very,very,VERY close to small things, and also has less background blurring than a longer macro lens has. Also, the short lens has/gives/shows a wider angle of view behind the subject, so...

Not really sold on short macro lenses...my 60mm AF-D is a good macro lens...I like a 90mm macro too, like my Tamron 90...used to use the Sigma 180mm, but it's quite large, and would be yet another BIG lens to have to lug around. I have heard good,good thinks about that Tokina 100 AT-X macro from every reviewer, and Tokina has a coolish color rendering that's close to the Nikkor family. SO does Tamron...color is close to Nikkor's cool-to-neutral rendering.

I think for SMALL things,like "just" the rings, a 100mm to 200mm macro would be very nice. For showing close-in things like announcements, menus, documents, flower arrangements, table settings, the added width of the angle of view behind the subject, the 60mm focal length on FF would be about perfect. For showing plants and flowers in some kind of subtle context a 60mm macro is nice; for showing individual small berries on a plant, a 180mm macro isolates the fruit, and does not literally "show the context" of the "plant". This is why there are multiple lengths of macro lenses made.

A long macro lens, like a 200mm or 180mm, has a narrow angle of view, both AT,and also BEHIND the subject distance. A 60mm has a much broader angle of view, so there is a pictorial difference between a short macro, and a long-tele macro. No one lens can do it all, the same,exact way.

Cant comment on the other lenses but I can comment about the 60mm 2.8G.

Yesterday I got this lens, bought it used and its everything I was expecting and more.
Yes you need to get close to item when shooting macro but thats fine for me and from what I am reading it will be ok for you too.

The second reason I bought it is because its a very impressive lens for portrait, it is recomended in the reviews for both macro and portrait and from shooting with it at the store and playing with it yesterday taking portraits of my family I fully agree with it.
The pictures come sharper then my 50mm 1.8G and I love the bokeh on it.
Really great all around lens.

It has been my experience that focal lengths of at least 100mm allow you a comfortable working distance. I am completely satisfied with my 105mm Micro Nikkor.

I have the Tokina 100mm and am very happy with it. It's really sharp. The price is right too.

Since macro shooting is usually done with manual focus, you can save a lot if u buy the older ais micro nikkors, they're optically just as good and built better.

Most reactions

Back