Which of my lenses would give the best image quality.

flyin-lowe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tonight I got my father in laws background set up and his strobe light kit w/ reflector. I am going to mess around this week and practice some portrait shots with my kids. My father in law is coming down on Saturday to take some pics but I need to learn and could use the practice. Anyway on an inside shoot which of these three lenses would give the best image quality? My 50mm 1.8, 18-55 IS kit lens, or the 28-135 IS USM??? I know they are all lower level lenses but right now that is what I have to choose from. He has a 40D but his lenses are in the same league as mine. My goal is to shoot some shots with my stuff and get some pictures equal or better then the ones he will take. He has more experience shooting but as far as the technical side of photography we are both about the same level. If there are any links to get me started on camera setting for portrait shots that would be great. I have a DVD that came with the light kit that shows a lot about the light setups and positioning.

50mm f/1.8 (stopped down)

My recommendation is to ~not~ turn it into a competition between you and your father in law. If he has more experience shooting, then step back and be the student for a while. IMO, experience usually trumps knowing the technical side of things. This is especially true if he has experience with strobes and you don't.

Probably the 50, f5.6-f8 and the 28-135 around 80-100mm, f6-f8.

Most reactions

Back