which of these cameras is better?

wahlberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
which camera shoots better video the sony hx300 or the canon t4i? I want to make a video like this one, I'm pretty sure it was shot with a canon t4i but I really like the 50x zoom of the sony hx300 and the 500 dollar price as oppose to the 850 dollar canon. Can the sony hx300 shoot just as good or better video than the canon t4i? thanks:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi wahlberg, and welcome to the forum! I'm pretty sure Kyle shoots with a $2800 (body only) Nikon D800 and a $400 GoPro Hero 3 Black (see the "About" section of his video "Area 34 Airsoft Action" on YouTube) - but you don't have to spend $3000 to shoot high quality slow motion sports video.

The Panasonic G6 is about $500 on sale right now and shoots smooth 1080/60p slow motion video in camera - no need to slow it down with software like Twixtor (something you have to do to get 1080p slow motion from Canon and Nikon DSLRs, which are limited to 1080/30p).

Here is what this camera can do ("Wayward" by Andy Johnson):

[video=vimeo;76503135]http://vimeo.com/76503135[/video]​

The other advantages the Panasonic G6 has over the T4i for video:

- Built in wi-fi (and NFC, if your phone has it) for wireless file transfer and remote control from your phone or tablet (the T4i doesn't have wi-fi)

- A viewfinder that actually works while you're shooting video (the T4i's viewfinder goes blank in video mode)

- A built-in intervalometer for timelapse video (you have to buy a separate intervalometer with the T4i)

- "Focus peaking" - which highlights the edge of your subject when you are in focus (something pro videographers use when shooting with manual focus lenses)

- Ability to record video for hours continuously, like a camcorder (the T4i stops after 22 minutes of continuous recording and has to be restarted - this can be a problem in the middle of a concert, a wedding, a school play, or other event).

And I strongly recommend against buying a small sensor superzoom such as the $418 Sony HX300. The zoom range is nice, but the video quality from this camera can't compare with a large sensor camera with a decent lens.

If you want the best video-capable interchangeable lens camera in this price range, you should seriously consider the Panasonic G6 - especially now, while it is on sale.

Hope this is helpful and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill

EDIT: The G6 is on backorder at $498 and the in-stock price has gone above $500 on Amazon, as of this post. You can still get one for $498 from Adorama via eBay - but there are only a few left at that price!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back