Which one is better

WomanInLove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am a new amateur photographer.
I am taking a basic class and we have a final contest. I can only submit 1 photo. It will be judged based on creativity, proper exposure, sharpness, etc.
Please help me to decide which one is better.
By the way, any constructive advice is appreciated.
P.S., please remember that i am verrrrrrry new to all this:)
Thanks

Katerina_final.jpg

contest2.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49530678@N05/4601743513/

Last edited:
I prefer the shot of the water running over the rocks, though neither of them are really 'contest winner' material IMO.

Ah, the old mill. I have been there several times. I have actually taken the exact same picture of the rocks. I personally like the one of the bridge better.

No ticky, no shirty....

Please post images directly in the thread.

Thanks!
I realize that this is not a professional contest material. I already mentioned that I am very new to photography.
Please explain what is wrong with these pictures in your opinion. It is important for me to hear from other photographers in order to improve.
Thank you again

#1. No questions asked.
*I'm not saying it's a great image, because it isn't. There's a lot wrong with this image: saturation, blown out, contrast, but I feel that it is stronger than #2. You're asking which one is better, and I say imo it's #1. Burn the sky a bit, fix the saturation, I feel like the flaws in this image are easier fixed than the second. So spruce it up before turning it in, I guess.

#2 lacks focus even if you are using a slow shutter speed. It's way to closely cropped for my taste, saturation is also a problem, and it looks soft overall. Bores me, too. Although the first one isn't a bag of skittles, either.:er:

Last edited:
Thanks for postng the images rather than links. :thumbsup:

The top photo is the much weaker image IMO. The greens are oversaturated and there is not enough detail in the natural bridge. The supporting elements do help in the composition, but not enough for that WOW factor. The sandy beach and the left third of the bridge have blown highlights. But none of these affect me as much as the beautiful sky reflected in the foreground of the river, only to be thwarted by it's source being blown out in the sky. That is an exposure issue.

The second photo is okay, I think.

Thanks,
I agree about the overexposed sky. How do I fix when I take the photo? Many times during sunny days sky comes out almost white.

Thanks,
I agree about the overexposed sky. How do I fix when I take the photo? Many times during sunny days sky comes out almost white.
You don't mention your gear, so I will presume.

One approach is to bracket your shots and then merge in post. Certain cameras have more features than others, so check your manual to see what is available for you.

Another approach is to meter and compose for the most important elements in your frame, forgetting and eliminating the extraneous. Tough call on #1. A smaller apeture and some play with EV (in particular) may have helped.

I use Sony Alpha 550 and basic lens 18-55mm SAM. Nothing else whatsoever. Thats all I have at this moment.

Most reactions

Back