Which one to take.....?

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We're planning a trip to Egypt this spring and my camera choises are: D70, F3 or F5. I'll take two zoom lenses: 28-105, 70-210, but can't decide which would be the best camera.
Suggestions, please.
Paul:confused:

I'd take the D70, I'm guessing the others are film (i think im right on that one), in which case taking the digital would free you up from the hassle of carting around a bunch of film/trying to get film developed in Egypt. Of course, it all comes down to your own preferences, and which camera you are most comfortable with.

I'd say let your preferred workflow make the choice! :)

-If digital, make sure you carry ample CF Cards and/or a laptop or a portable storage device to transfer the images, along with an adapter for your battery charger (Very important!). If possible, stock as many batteries you can. When we went to London last year, I had bought an adapter from Home Depot, which I thought would work over there, but it did not! Luckily I had enough batteries to last.
-If film, make sure you have Film Guard Bags like these with you, to protect the rolls from Airport X-Rays.
-From the two lenses listed, if I were to pick just one, I'd go for the 28-105.

Have a great trip and hope we'd get to see the images when you return! :D

Welcome to TPF!!

I just returned from Chile and took a D2X, F-100, and a 5700 with me. I had an 18-70, and a 80-400 lens with me. I used the 2X most of the time and the others were back-ups. I had 8 CF cards and a photo hard disc to download the cards into. I would never travel with out a good back-up.

I would take the D-70 and the F5. I would also take a converter to charge batteries.

I had portable audio equipment with me and had two 9V's go out. I spent one entire day trying to find 9V's. That was my fault for not taking extras. Next time I will take more than I need and just leave them there if not used.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. There are many point I never considered.
Last year, before the D70, we went to Italy and I took a Nikon Pronea. Light weight and packed in my “fanny pack”. But, I wasn’t very pleased with the pictures after getting home; could have been the photo guy of course. Egypt is a once in a life time trip, so I need reliability and good results this time. any other thoughts would be helpful
Paul

Hi!

It depend if you want the film camera or a digital one.
I have both digital (D70) and an old Olympus film camera, which I always take together...

Yaad

must you take only one? the d70 would be good to take since you can always manipulate the photos later, but the f5 would be great to take for wide angle shots that the d70 couldn't get with its 1.5x crop factor. I'd take the d70 and the f5 and bring some tri-x and some velvia.

Myself, I would take the F3, for a couple of reasons. For one, an F3 in good shape can take just about anything. You can get batteries for them anywhere. You can get film anywhere. And, I feel that if you are going on a lifetime trip, why worry about memory cards, and transfering one thing to another.

jwkwd said:
Myself, I would take the F3, for a couple of reasons. For one, an F3 in good shape can take just about anything. You can get batteries for them anywhere. You can get film anywhere. And, I feel that if you are going on a lifetime trip, why worry about memory cards, and transfering one thing to another.

Exactly, wastes time you could spend enjoying the palce you are in. Reloading film takes no time.

Which camera to take has been the subject in this house for days now and now the wife has voiced her views. ‘You invested all the time and money in ‘those’ cameras, you need to take only one. I’m taking my little Olympus (15 years old stylus) and it takes better pictures too!'
Ouch!
Based on the many responses, I’m leaning toward the F5 film. I like the auto focusing advantage over the F3 and as pointed out by ‘jwkwd’ and ‘Daniel’, batteries and film are available most everywhere and the time spent on the digital needs of the D70 is wasted.
Again, thanks y’all for the input.
Paul
:thumbsup:

jwkwd said:

the f3 is a good point too, although like acsonpg said, you'd lose autofocus which can be quite important. one thing though, you cant get all film anywhere. you'd pretty much have to buy that before you go unless you know of some good pro photo shops in egypt.

one thing i didnt understand was that last statement...it doesnt make sense at all. since when does taking one or two 2gb cards that can fit 500 Large JPEGs each more worrisome than taking loads of film rolls that can only fit 36 shots per roll?

Most reactions

Back