Which one??!

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am trying to decide between the Sigma 85 1.4 or Nikkor 85mm 1.8. I can't decide. Both have great reviews, the Nikon is a little less money.

Which would you choose? I need some advice!

Holly

Is your budget an issue?

Well, I can't afford the Nikkor 85mm 1.4G. Just not right now. My hubby is already frustrated I'm getting another lens, but I'm getting one this week so I need some opinions!

Reyna said:
Well, I can't afford the Nikkor 85mm 1.4G. Just not right now. My hubby is already frustrated I'm getting another lens, but I'm getting one this week so I need some opinions!

I have the sigma 85/1.4 for canon and I love the lens. Super sharp, and looks great on a full frame camera.

I've heard the 85/1.8G is a good performer, but I don't shoot Nikon and can't qualify that with personal experience.

I just got the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D and absolutely LOVE it. I can't speak to the Sigma though.

Reyna said:
Hi,

I am trying to decide between the Sigma 85 1.4 or Nikkor 85mm 1.8. I can't decide. Both have great reviews, the Nikon is a little less money.

Which would you choose? I need some advice!

Holly

I like others can quote on personal experience. I own the Nikkor 85mm D 1.8 for various projects and find it to be tack sharp throughout. For the extra $$ I could not justify going to 1.4, besides like you, my wife would surely have something to say about it.

--Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Ok, thanks everyone. Yeah, the Sigma is about $400 more but I found a used one that someone is selling for $750 so I just couldn't decide if it would be worth it. I would use the 85mm for portraits. The 50 isn't cutting it :/

I've been using the Sigma 85mm for a couple years now and I really like it! It's been my go-to lens ever since I got it on both DX and FX and is my best portrait lens. I would highly recommend it! However, I've never used the 1.8G lens so I cannot give you a good comparison.

I bought a new 85mm f/1.8 G-series lens in early 2012, as a companion to my 85mm 1.4 AF-D, the so-called "Cream Machine", known for its superb bokeh rendering. The 1.4 AF-D model has a very sharp central region, with softer corners. The Sigma 85/1.4 has a similar performance--very sharp in the central region, softer corners. Which looks good on people!!!!! The new 85mm 1.8 G-series Nikkor is much better across the entire frame than the Nikkor AF-D or Sigma f/1.4 lenses. This lens is astoundingly sharp and even in its performance across the entire 24x36mm field--THAT is the most astonishing thing about the 85mm 1.8 G...and the reason is...it is designed to be contemporary with the 36MP D800e. It is a high-resolution lens, designed to be used on a camera that can truly show what it can do. It is an amazing value. I was honestly surprised at how good it is!!!! I think of the 1.8 G as a "landscape lens"--designed primarily for ultimate sharpness across the full-frame field.

You can see it compared against the new Nikkor f/1.4 G and the Sigma 1.4 models.
DxOMark - Comparisons

I own one Sigma lens that I bought in a thrift store (bad habit I know but fun none the less) and it's a terrific lens.

I've shot with a few people who had other Sigma lenses and some were good and others not. Quality control doesn't seem to be one of Sigma's strong suits.

I have never personally seen a bad (read that low quality from a manufacturing standpoint) Nikon lens.

Life is a gamble, choose your own odds though. ;)

I bought a new 85mm f/1.8 G-series lens in early 2012, as a companion to my 85mm 1.4 AF-D, the so-called "Cream Machine", known for its superb bokeh rendering. The 1.4 AF-D model has a very sharp central region, with softer corners. The Sigma 85/1.4 has a similar performance--very sharp in the central region, softer corners. Which looks good on people!!!!! The new 85mm 1.8 G-series Nikkor is much better across the entire frame than the Nikkor AF-D or Sigma f/1.4 lenses. This lens is astoundingly sharp and even in its performance across the entire 24x36mm field--THAT is the most astonishing thing about the 85mm 1.8 G...and the reason is...it is designed to be contemporary with the 36MP D800e. It is a high-resolution lens, designed to be used on a camera that can truly show what it can do. It is an amazing value. I was honestly surprised at how good it is!!!! I think of the 1.8 G as a "landscape lens"--designed primarily for ultimate sharpness across the full-frame field.

You can see it compared against the new Nikkor f/1.4 G and the Sigma 1.4 models.
DxOMark - Comparisons

Exactly what I needed to know!! Thanks again, Derrel!

Personally I stay away from Sigma since my 50mm debacle with them where I got three bad copies. Since then I have never considered them again, and have pretty much stuck with the Nikkors. Now I have heard that Sigma has greatly improved their QC, but for me it is too late, when it comes to lenses I think that the QC should always be top notch.

You won't be disappointed with the Nikon 1.8. Don't deal with Sigma. Nikon knocks it out. I know budget is an issue, but personally I'd get a used 1.4 D. Don't listen to the detractors, that lens is a legend.

Most reactions

Back