Which photo organizer?

KandieMan101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so I have a folder of all my pictures which is... somewhat decently organized in various levels of subfolders but it would be nice to have a software package just have EVERYTHING available for me.
I require the following -- could anyone recommend something that would work?

- Work identically on laptop+desktop (I don't want to make changes in the software to both... it would be nice to be able to copy some data file...)
- Easily edit EXIF information

- Apply multiple labels/put into multiple categories (without copying the actual picture and taking more space)
- Quickly browse/search for files
- I don't require any photo editing... I have photoshop.

Thanks!

If I wanted to edit detaisl for a picture, I would have to edit the EXIF and the "database" info separately... which would be annoying. I want to be able to edit the EXIF but have it also reflected in the DB.
I also couldn't easily find how to "browse" my DB... could only search it.

I don't understand what this Database thing you're talking about is.

But have a look at Picasa 2 by Google. It's really good and it's what I use.

There are several choices available to you. Portfolio by extensis (www.extensis.com) ACDsee Powerpack By (www.Acdsystems.com) There is also Photmechanic by camarabits ( www.camarabits.com ). Also digital Darkroom ( not sure of the web site but you can google it ) I use ACDsee it seem to work the best for my needs.

I am starting to use picasa more and more and liking it... Just some things, maybe someone can clear up:

It doesn't appear to edit exif data at all, but I can edit a caption+keywords for the IPTC data -- correct?

I dislike its sorting by year. For starters, some of my old pictures don't have/have an incorrect datastamp on them, if one at all. Secondly, where MOST of my pictures reside, I have:

People
- Friends
- Individual
- Multiple People

Picasa has put both individual and MP under "2002" because the first picture in both folders is dated 2002. However, most pictures are 2004/2005... is there something I can do or does someone suggest a different folder structure?

I just did red eye correction on a photo... normally I will fire up Photoshop but Picasa can make it easy to do it on bulk pictures..

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13537&query=change&topic=0&type=f

It says changes don't affect original picture. Browsing to the folder it looks like the picture file has the red eye removed...? I'd prefer that it DID edit the original, but is Picasa actually making a copy somewhere or something?

If you've got a mac plus $500 to fork over Apple's brand-new Aperture program will pretty much do EVERYTHING you could need according to what their site says. It really sounds like it's going to be an awesome program.
More info here http://www.apple.com/aperture

If you have a mac but can afford to maybe spend 1/10th of that, then iPhoto (which comes as part of the $50 iLife package) is also a very nice program.

As for windows, I can't say much as I'm quite a mac head. And considering you're probably running a PC, this post is most likely useless, but ah well. I'm just really excited about this Aperture program and can't wait for it to start shipping. :)

I'm using ACDSee and it has great database support.

Rating, category, exif, date, lenses... all searchable. I beleive it can do laptop/desktop sync, but I am not sure, cause I only have desktop.

Most reactions

Back