which photo printer?

arr-photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand of photo printer I should buy?
I'm tired of having to run to the drug store to get my prints printed. I want a printer that has better or is equivalent to the drug store's... if that makes since. I also want a speedy but affordable one. Any suggestions? :lovey:

Canon makes the best printers around if you wanna spend the money on a good one. They do get quite pricey though. The high end uses pigment ink and has 8, 10, or 12 colors depending on which you buy.

Sorry... gotta disagree. If I could have the printer that I want it would without a doubt be an Epson. I have always had Canons however if you look at the comparisons, you'll see that Canon is not in the same ballpark as Epson.

How much printing do you think you will be doing? If you are doing a lot, I would recommend getting one that accepts a continuous ink supply (CIS) and has good quality (preferably from the printer manufacturer) bulk ink available for it.

What is your budget? How big do you want to print? How important is archival stability?

Best,
Helen

I agree Epson printers are very good. I trust a company that specializes in printing not producing cameras. I feel companies like canon produce printers because they are used by their primary customers (photographers) and its a logical market to go into but their primary focus is on cameras not printers. Not to say canon printers are not good but I feel epsons are better. As far as prints from a drug store and decent photo printer canon, epson, HP, will far surpass the results from a drug store. I use an epson R1800 and love it. It runs around $500 but it is 13" wide and gives you a lot of versatility in terms of media choices and print size. I used an epson R300 before I upgraded and found that printer was excellent as well, I upgraded because I wanted a 13 inch wide printer instead of the standard 8.5. The R300 is very cheap now if its still on the market, you can probably get one for around 100. Im sure epson has come out with a new model that is just as good. Epsons use archival inks that will last up to 200 years on quality paper, I think that speaks to their quality. Look into epson printers not all in ones though go for a photo printer one with multiple ink tanks (the r300 had 6 the 1800 8 tanks)

I'm a big epson fan... never been disappointed by any of their products BUT you have to understand the dis/adv of buying a consumer level printer... things such as... longevity.. quality of inks.. ink availability.. and really important archival ink set.

Most inexpensive consumer level ink jets do not use an archival ink set which to me is a huge problem. I have a few snapshots on my office wall from a low line epson photo printer (R825) as well as some high quality 8x10s from my much higher end (at the time) Epson 2200. After a few years of constant exposure (not behind glass) to the lighting in the office (on all the time) it is pretty obvious the huge difference the ink set makes. The prints from teh R825 have faded and colors turned. The prints from the 2200 are just perfect. Unfortunately.. the higher end inks + printer do cost a premium.

In my experience, 9 time out of 10 when I dig into the needs of a particular customer it is pretty obvious that they are better suited to sending their print requests to a good online printing service. The cost, maintenenance, and supplies is quickly out done by the convenience of a good online printer. MPIX is my favorite... service is high quality and fast.

Now if your interests is in inkjet printing specifically.. when you control the whole process beginning to end and get to experiment with different papers.. then you are a good candidate for a high end ink jet... Other than that.. its better leaving it to the online folks.

I too like Epson. We have had HP, Canon, Lexmark and some others over these many years, but always go back to Epson. All the others had one issue or another that was typical of that family of printers, but never any issues with Epson, time after time.

How much printing do you think you will be doing? If you are doing a lot, I would recommend getting one that accepts a continuous ink supply (CIS) and has good quality (preferably from the printer manufacturer) bulk ink available for it.

What is your budget? How big do you want to print? How important is archival stability?

Best,
Helen

I think I will be printing quite a bit and I will probably only be printing 4 X 6 but maybe with the occational larger print for portrats. My price range is $100-300. And if the printer that I desire may be a little more than that, I could possable pay more.

I've had 3 Epson printers, none served me well, unfortunately.

I use HP now, but if I was serious about printing photographs more, Canon would be my only serious consideration.

I'm a big epson fan... never been disappointed by any of their products BUT you have to understand the dis/adv of buying a consumer level printer... things such as... longevity.. quality of inks.. ink availability.. and really important archival ink set.

Most inexpensive consumer level ink jets do not use an archival ink set which to me is a huge problem. I have a few snapshots on my office wall from a low line epson photo printer (R825) as well as some high quality 8x10s from my much higher end (at the time) Epson 2200. After a few years of constant exposure (not behind glass) to the lighting in the office (on all the time) it is pretty obvious the huge difference the ink set makes. The prints from teh R825 have faded and colors turned. The prints from the 2200 are just perfect. Unfortunately.. the higher end inks + printer do cost a premium.

In my experience, 9 time out of 10 when I dig into the needs of a particular customer it is pretty obvious that they are better suited to sending their print requests to a good online printing service. The cost, maintenenance, and supplies is quickly out done by the convenience of a good online printer. MPIX is my favorite... service is high quality and fast.

Now if your interests is in inkjet printing specifically.. when you control the whole process beginning to end and get to experiment with different papers.. then you are a good candidate for a high end ink jet... Other than that.. its better leaving it to the online folks.

Thanks for your help, but I cant (unfortunately) use an online printer... You see, I do horse show photography so I need to be able to print great quality photos to sell to the rider/owner/customer the next day. Otherwise, my opportunity to sell to the owner is gone. =/

I agree Epson printers are very good. I trust a company that specializes in printing not producing cameras. I feel companies like canon produce printers because they are used by their primary customers (photographers) and its a logical market to go into but their primary focus is on cameras not printers. Not to say canon printers are not good but I feel epsons are better. As far as prints from a drug store and decent photo printer canon, epson, HP, will far surpass the results from a drug store. I use an epson R1800 and love it. It runs around $500 but it is 13" wide and gives you a lot of versatility in terms of media choices and print size. I used an epson R300 before I upgraded and found that printer was excellent as well, I upgraded because I wanted a 13 inch wide printer instead of the standard 8.5. The R300 is very cheap now if its still on the market, you can probably get one for around 100. Im sure epson has come out with a new model that is just as good. Epsons use archival inks that will last up to 200 years on quality paper, I think that speaks to their quality. Look into epson printers not all in ones though go for a photo printer one with multiple ink tanks (the r300 had 6 the 1800 8 tanks)

Well I find that kind of fanboyish to say that "epson uses archival ink"
It uses whichever ink you put in the thing. Canon, Epson, HP, whoever...they all have archival ink that'll last 100+ years.

I'm not saying Epson is a bad printer...just saying you can't tote it around like it's the only one with those features.

The only exception would be to say Lexmark sucks...because they do.

I bought the epson r2400 not too long ago and I just LOVE it. Takes 9 cartriges but only 8 at a time. :)

Amber

If you are doing shows and packing a printer from venue to venue, you might find your price point a little on the low end if you want it to last. Nothing like having sales and your printer is down and can't deliver. (been there, done that) Also, if you have an assistant, there is no reason you can't deliver prints within 20-30 min and charge a premium. Besides, a cheap printer usually results in cheap looking prints. This can negatively affect future sales. Just a little food for thought.

I bought the epson r2400 not too long ago and I just LOVE it. Takes 9 cartriges but only 8 at a time. :)

Amber

Yes, the 2400 is a FANTASTIC printer. I am still using a couple 2200's and love them. I have beat them to death for over 5 years and they still are going strong. The 2400 is on my list when these guys give up and die.

Most reactions

Back