Which Photography magazine do you guys and gals read?

pilgrim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had no idea that there was such a large selection of photography mags, i thought there was like 1 or 2, but at London drugs I saw about 6 or 7 different ones. I ended up with popular photography mainly because it was the buyers guide, and im in the middle of buying.
But what mag do you folks buy?

dlc said:

Yah Im really liking this magazine, i think a subscription might be in order. This issue has a bit on Steve Bloom and I absolultly love his work. The buyers guide is kinda lacking, but I guess they hafta show so many cameras they can't get into too much detail.

i've never bought a photography magazine, suprisingly :D

I really like "Outdoor Photographer". Most of my pictures are taken outside and this magazine has helped me.

I won't buy a magazine that is over 50% ads, and that cuts out most photog mags. I'm disappointed with most photo mags I've picked up; they seem to be mostly fluff and ads. I don't know if "Aperture" is considered a magazine, but I like how it showcases photographers and their work; it's a publication that comes out several times a year.

It seems to me that there is so much more valuable info on the internet.

I tottaly agree with you fish, I couldnt believe the amount of adds in this mag, atleat 50% :? .
About there internet thing, there is alot more info on the net for sure, but some times I just cant stand to look at my monitor and would much rather sit back and flip through a mag or book. Its almost refreshing.

I know what you mean about getting sick of looking at a monitor. I always wish for a good photo mag full of great info and pics, I'm just almost always disappointed, so I've stopped looking on the rack, and told all my relative no photo mag subscriptions for me.

Books on the other hand are my absolute favorite. It's possible that I value my photo book collection more than my camera collection. I hit the used book store in town at least once a week, and go straight to the photography section first. I recently found a wonderful old printing of a book full of Paul Caponigro photographs for $6. This was great because several of my photog buddies have said that my landscapes remind them of Paul Caponigro's work, and I haven't seen much of his stuff. Now I can see the similarity too; in fact, I took a pic on vacation in August that is almost identical to one in the book (I'm getting a scanner for Xmas, so I'll post them both then).

I like books that talk about photographers and show their work. I think I learn more by looking at other folks' work and listening to the stories behind the photos than I get from the books on photo techniques. I think that everyone should read at least one or two books on skills/technique, but after reading a few dozen I've decided that most are pretty much the same book edited in a different way.

One of my favorite books is "The Plant Kingdom: Photographs of Charles Jones". I found it brand new for $2.50 in on the bargin rack. Charles Jones was a photographer in the late 1890's. He was "discovered" in the mid 1980's. Nobody knows about this guy, so the book always goes cheap. Pick one up if you see it.

ksmattfish said:
I recently found a wonderful old printing of a book full of Paul Caponigro photographs for $6. This was great because several of my photog buddies have said that my landscapes remind them of Paul Caponigro's work, and I haven't seen much of his stuff.

Did he shoot a lot of pics in Ireland? Because back in high school I wrote a report on some landscape photog that I just loved and for years now I've been trying to remember who it was, and that name looks really familiar now.

I often scan through all the photo magazines in the store then buy one that has a certain article I am interested in. I often read PP&I because my dad has a subscription, I really enjoy Outdoor Photography because most of my pictures fit into that category and I know I am getting a subscription to it for Christmas. But for those who dislike all the adds, might I suggest Photolife. It is a canadian publication so I don't know if it is available in the US. It seems alot more about "real" photography and not so much on gadgets and adds.

Most reactions

Back