Which route to go on telephoto?

grahambo85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between a canon 70-200 f/4 L IS with a supporting 1.4 teleconverter or a Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM. The 70-200 is reviewed as one of if not the sharpest lens in Canon's L series and I played with it and like it a lot. I also know that it would be more practical to walk around with and just add the teleconverter when needed, but it's obvious that being able to go instantly from 70-300 would be an advantage in certain situations and also would mean I wouldn't have to carry around a extra piece of gear.
Does anyone have any insight on these or experience with both and which might be the best route to go?

I can only comment on the 70-200, but it's a great lens. Maybe a little large to walk around with, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. Be aware that your maximum aperture will go up when using the teleconverter, if I'm not mistaken. This may or may not make a difference if you are outdoors.

I like the 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS :D

So you don't mind the push zoom on the 100-400? I fingered it would be annoying.

Im a nikon guy and the 70-200 f2.8 is a great lens, I'm sure Canon's(f2.8/f4) is very comparable. The other lens are not as fast and have slower AF. My suggestion is to buy the 70-200 and enjoy it. If you want a lil extra reach use your tc. If you shoot at night and really need the 2.8 then you have it. I use a 2x on my D3 for sports during the day and its fine.

I use both the 100-400L and the 70-200 L 2.8 and am absolutely delighted by them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back