Which rules of composition do you use the most?

Yep. a well made image takes several visual image composition guidelines into account.

As mentioned, with experience composition is usually not a conscious thought process.

I don't think of them so much as rules so I don't necessarily think of it as breaking them. There might be more use of lines, or space, or whichever elements of composition (shape/form, line, space, texture, tone/value, color) work together in a particular photo. Some images might use primarily shape, or texture, etc. in getting a balanced composition.

It's innate ability and skills however those are developed, thru experience and/or more formal training, that you use probably without thinking in those terms to make a photograph.

Breadth is the main thing I am striving for in compositions these days. In the art sense of the word.

Short answer, what works ;)

Long answer, you can find the rule of thirds in most of my shots but it's the shots that use the rule of thirds plus other compositional elements, balance, colour, perspective, framing, etc etc etc effectively that I feel are my best work.

I think that the rule of thirds and golden ratio type guidelines are the base upon which good photographs are built.

I'm with Ms Rabbit. It either works or not.

We didn't have it easy like you digital photogs have it now. In the wet darkroom we had to do comp in the dark with a negative image. You guys and gals are breastfed comp. You can try all sorts of comp tests in no time.

And in the big picture, if you don't know how to comp on the computer, how do you knwo how to comp in the camera on the street?

1. Uncap lens, and point camera away from face, intently peering thru viewfinder while aiming camera toward interesting subject matter.
2. Press shutter release smoothly when image thru finder looks good.
3. Repeat as often as possible.

Rule of thirds is the only rule I try to adhere to. For the last two years a good part of my photos are of birds in flight, when a bird is flushed from cover or takes flight often times it's all one can do to get the animal in frame and shoot, rules be damned.

Learn the rules, but learn a new title to go with them - TOOLS.

Tools are items that help you at the right time, but in the wrong situation are only a hindrance. I wouldn't grab a hammer to cut through a board (been there, done that actually and trust me - didn't work).

Same with compositional tools. Know them to have them in your toolbox, but if it isn't the right situation - DON'T USE IT. Don't freak out, just go on shooting.

Not sure if they are all official tools (rules), but here are compositional tools that I use when needed:

Rule of thirds, leading lines, selective focus (dof), alignment (what I want level in frame and us AF points to align)

Most reactions

Back