Which rules of composition do you use the most?

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you had to think of the majority of the photos you take, which rule of composition would you say you find yourself using the most? In other words, which compositional rule is the hardest to break for you and why?

There's only one rule I'm aware which is the rule of thirds which isn't too hard to break. :p
I don't know any other rules, I just do what looks nice to me.

I think good balance along with the rule of thirds are important to an image. I also just do what looks good to me, a lot of the time I'm never 100% satisfied... But thats why I'm a member of this forum, the critique is quite helpful and eye opening

I am not too fond of rules usually, so I also go by what looks good to me! the rule of thirds, the golden ratio, are ways of explaining what looks good for people that don't see it! If you have the eye, let go of the burden of the rule and just enjoy the moment!

All of the so-called "Rules" of composition are based on the assumption that people prefer photographs (and other artwork) that adheres to them and feel that they are more pleasing to the eye and senses. It therefore follows logically that if you shoot what looks good to you then you are most likely following at least some of the compositional rules, even if unconsciously.

Leading lines or rules of thirds. Oh wait....the, "that looks good like that" rule.

Well just like they always say: The rule of thirds works 99% of the time.

:roll:

I use the rule of taking a picture that is visually appealing.

I use the rule of taking a picture that is visually appealing.
What the bunny said; I very rarely consciously think about the compositional rules, but if you look at my work, you will see that they're often present. At the end of the day, I do what I want or need to get the image I want or need.

Short answer, what works ;)

Long answer, you can find the rule of thirds in most of my shots but it's the shots that use the rule of thirds plus other compositional elements, balance, colour, perspective, framing, etc etc etc effectively that I feel are my best work.

I think that the rule of thirds and golden ratio type guidelines are the base upon which good photographs are built.

Most reactions

Back