Which should I buy first?

PhotoFrenzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I get a speedlight (been looking at the sb-700) or a battery grip (for my d7000) first. I only have enough to get one right now. What do you think I should get first.

The flash will improve your photos and allow you to take new shots that weren't possible before. The grip is more of a convenience thing. It won't affect your IQ.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I agree on the flash-HOWEVER... while you are learning the exposure triangle don't throw flash in the mix when practicing. It changes the rules and will make it harder to learn. For the time being just use it as you NEED to. Strobist has an awesome resource for learning about flash once you have figured out the exposure triangle.

For the price of the SB-700, you could get 2 lightly used SB-28's (which are more powerful), a set of Yongnuo RF-602 radio triggers, an 8' light stand, and a shoot through umbrella.

($120) Nikon Speedlight SB-28 WORKS GREAT!!! | eBay
($110) Nikon Speedlight SB-28 Shoe Mount Flash - Mint (0018208047109) | eBay
($48) Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger RF602 for NIKON w/ 2 receiver | eBay
($26) Pro Heavy Duty 8ft 8308 Linco Flora Studio Ultra Light Stands Photo Video Tripod | eBay
($18) JTL 33" White Shoot Through Photographic Umbrella #4011 | eBay

VS

($327) sb-700

EDIT: BTW, I have every one of the items listed so I can speak from experience with using them. The stands are great, the umbrella is what you'd expect, the flash's are some of the more powerfull out there (for speedlights), and the triggers have yet to misfire @ 1/250.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For the price of the SB-700, you could get 2 lightly used SB-28's (which are more powerful), a set of Yongnuo RF-602 radio triggers, an 8' light stand, and a shoot through umbrella.

($48) Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger RF602 for NIKON w/ 2 receiver | eBay
($26) Pro Heavy Duty 8ft 8308 Linco Flora Studio Ultra Light Stands Photo Video Tripod | eBay

VS

($327) sb-700

EDIT: BTW, I have every one of the items listed so I can speak from experience with using them. The stands are great, the umbrella is what you'd expect, the flash's are some of the more powerfull out there (for speedlights), and the triggers have yet to misfire @ 1/250.

Wow, thank you for all of that! I will for sure check that all out! Thanks again!

VS

($327) sb-700

Wow, thank you for all of that! I will for sure check that all out! Thanks again!

No problem :)

I'd go for the flash(es) too.

I'm not familiar with any of them, as I am into the Pentax and Olympus systems instead.

But make sure you get a bounce/swivel flash with zoom and IR focus assist. This makes such a huge difference in indoor flash photos, it has to be seen to be believed.

If you get a vertical grip, get one that takes AAs if possible.

I got a genuine Nikon Mb-d11 battery grip from e-bay for $79.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back