Which should I choose?

v3nge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on here. I have a Canon 6D and I'm looking to use it for film. I currently have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 (the $100 one). I'm looking at either getting a Rokinon cine lens like this (I've used their 50mm cine lense and liked it). But this Canon zoom lens is in my price range as well and would give me more flexibility. I know that prime lenses are usually sharper, but idk it that still holds true when comparing Rokinon to L series Canon. If I did get the Rokinon I would have $300 extra to buy other equipment though. What are your opinions? Feel free to suggest other lenses in the $600 range as well. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bit of a confusing question. You cannot use a Canon 6D for film as it is a digital camera. Are you looking to take videos with it or use the lenses for film with another body?

Bit of a confusing question. You cannot use a Canon 6D for film as it is a digital camera. Are you looking to take videos with it or use the lenses for film with another body?
Sorry about that, I said film when I meant video. Bad habit.

Sorry about that, I said film when I meant video. Bad habit.

although it's a full frame "kit" lens the 24-105 L is very good. Generally STM lens are better for video (faster focusing)
if you're primarily into video maybe you should ask in the video section

I don't know anything really about the Rokinon lens but I can tell you you'll appreciate the Canon for the flexibility. The Canon 24-105 f/4 L has always been my go to for video. I use it on a 6D as well. It just seems to have the right combination of focal range, constant aperture, and IS. As far as sharpness goes it plenty sharp enough for both stills and HD video. Beagle100 mentioned an STM lens being better for video which is true IF you have a camera with movie servo AF, which 6D does not. There is also a Canon 24-105 STM but it is not the same as the 24-105 L. What kind of stuff will you be shooting? What kind of features are you looking for in a video lens? What kind of other equipment would you be looking to buy? Perhaps a mic?

Unfortunately, you're not going to find a decent modern zoom in the $600 range new and I doubt you'd find a decent one used either. All of the L lenses hold their value pretty good.

If you're budget is really $600... I'd look into getting a good, used prime (something like older Zeiss lenses from with the CY mount) or be patient and save for a good quality zoom. If you're hasty and get a crappy zoom, you're going to hate it, not be able to sell it and then end up getting the better one later.

Also... you don't need to buy a new lens with autofocus. It's video... you're not going to be using autofocus. There are a billion old "legacy" lenses on ebay for pennies that will produce great images. Try looking into reviews of "legacy" zooms.

For example: Contax 28-85 F/3.3-4 Vario Sonnar T* MM C/Y Mount Lens {82}
or Contax 35-70 F/3.4 Vario Sonnar T* MM C/Y Mount Lens {67}

Most reactions

Back