PatrickLiamPhoto

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.patrickliamphoto.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a D4S to go along with my D810. I'm looking to sell either my D800 or my D7000. I could include extras with the D7000, such as the DX lenses I have, a silicon skin, etc. where as the D800 would just be body only. I want to keep one as my emergency backup camera.

What do you think would be easier to sell?

What DX lenses?

Unless you have specific need for the DX format, why not get rid of that whole line? Do you do much sports/bird photography? That's the main thing I can think of for advantages to the D7000 as a backup.

I'd stay with the FF cameras sell the crops, personally but I'll monitor to see what others would do.

The only reason I can think of to keep the 7000 is for the focal length "increase" of the DX sensor.

But then, I can't think of any good reason to keep a D800 when you have a D810, because the D810 is just everything the D800 is... only better. So I'd probably sell the D800.

If you didn't have the D4S and did work that required a backup cam, I'd advise keeping the D810/D800 and selling the 7000.

What FF lenses do you have?

No reason to keep the D7000. With the D8X0, in crop mode you have essentially the same camera as the D7000. If you're worried about focal length, upgrade that to a D7200 or D500 to get pixel density over the D7000. But no reason to keep the D7000. Maybe the lenses though if you want the reach of the 18-270, then keep the D800 in crop mode. Then you have the flexibility to use it is a FF backup as well. But then again, you could always use the D810 in crop mode if you want to.

If it was me: dump the D800 and the D7000. Buy a nice lens with the cash. You could buy a telephoto that would be a longer focal length than you had even with the extra DX reach.

Last edited:
IMHO the D800 makes better sense as the backup body.

@manaheim, curious why you disagree with the above without any comments.

Is it because of his crop mode statement? A 36MP image cropped x1.5 is a 16MP image. The D7000 is a 16MP sensor.

IMHO the D800 makes better sense as the backup body.

@manaheim, curious why you disagree with the above without any comments.

Is it because of his crop mode statement? A 36MP image cropped x1.5 is a 16MP image. The D7000 is a 16MP sensor.

Mainly because I didn't want to get into a tit for tat argument over it. :)

I'd sell both the D800 and the D7000 (and the DX lenses) and buy either a D500 or a D7200 (for your emergency back up need), or even a new lens.

A D500 (20mpix) or a D7200 (24mpix) will give you extra DX reach while the D7000 (16mpix) is not giving you much extra reach as you can get with the D810 in DX crop mode (15mpix).

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
What FF lenses do you have?

No reason to keep the D7000. With the D8X0, in crop mode you have essentially the same camera as the D7000. If you're worried about focal length, upgrade that to a D7200 or D500 to get pixel density over the D7000. But no reason to keep the D7000. Maybe the lenses though if you want the reach of the 18-270, then keep the D800 in crop mode. Then you have the flexibility to use it is a FF backup as well. But then again, you could always use the D810 in crop mode if you want to.

If it was me: dump the D800 and the D7000. Buy a nice lens with the cash. You could buy a telephoto that would be a longer focal length than you had even with the extra DX reach.

I have the whole gamut of FF lenses - 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 120-300, 50mm 1.8, 70mm macro, etc. I want something I can just keep in the car, etc during weddings so that God forbid my other stuff walks (it's happened to friends of mine) I can have something with which I can finish the night.

Why would you keep a crummy D7000 over the D800 for this? I think this is a no brainer.

Since you do wedding etc and low light, etc is a concern I would sell the D7000 and DX lenses.
Stay FF as an emergency backup especially since you already have it.

Either would be easy to sell if you price them low enough.

i would get rid of the crop sensor gear.. unless you really want a DX format camera for some reason..

I want something I can just keep in the car, etc during weddings so that God forbid my other stuff walks (it's happened to friends of mine) I can have something with which I can finish the night.
I was waiting to see why you need so many cameras and what use you have for the ones you consider selling.
My answer is simple, sell the D7000, its useless, keep the D800, its an excellent back up camera for a wedding, its still an excellent main wedding camera so for sure its good enough for back up.
The D7000 on the other hand is a very limited camera for this task comparing to the D800

Most reactions

Back