Which SLR??

lds463

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I have decided to get a film slr as it is cheaper and I will be more careful with my shots. I have about $60 bucks for the camera and lens. I like to do almost every type of photography including macro(i can wait for the lens),landscape,portrait,etc. What would you recommend?

-By the way i found my parents' acient Yashica YK-35 which I cant find a manual for without buying it...its a p&s film camera but itll do for a little while

On eBay you might be able to find a AE-1 or some other manual focus SLR. I know you can get EOS Bodies (no lens) for 30-40 pretty easily.

But buying a lens for a EOS is a hassle because the digitals use the same lens so there quite expensive.

I heard of the Maxxum if thats what it is called....Is it any good and how much?

what are ya lookin' for?

all manual/mechanical
pentax k1000 (or any kmount body... ricoh, chinon, cosina, vivitar, sears)
pentax spotmatic ( other m42 mount bodies like praktica, zenit (from u.s, canadian, or u.k seller only) yaschica, fuji, sears, mamiya)
nikkormat
olympus om-1 or om-2
minolta md mount bodies

semi automatic (manual focus, auto exposure)
canon ae-1
olympus om-10, om-g
pentax
etc....

Canon eos, Minolta maxxum, etc. are all good systems too

How about the Canon EOS Rebel Ti camera?
I found it for $20.00 as the bid(excluding shipping) and it includes 28-90mm lens and case

If you really can't wait for the macro lens, it's great fun to shoot with the lens held on backwards.

I would recommend finding a camera with a fast 50mm prime lens. I think first starting out, you will learn a lot more using a bit of shoe leather zoom, and the zoom will more than likely be a cheap one that will be worthless as you appreciate higher quality equipment. A good fast 50mm prime will more than likely be very sharp and you will want to continue to use it for years.

As has been mentioned in several other threads, virtually any MF manual exposure Nikon, Nikkormat, Canon, Pentax or Minolta will provide you countless hours of quality film shooting. Or several other brands I didn't mention as well. Just be aware after the body comes lenses. Old manual Nikons and Pentax bodies use the same lens mount the current bodies use with some limitations. Once you invest in a camera "system", you will feel locked into that mount and brand. So choose wisely young grasshopper.

How about the Canon EOS Rebel Ti camera?

I've been using a film Rebel with a cheap zoom for a year now (my first camera). It's been great but I would agree with the info above. Autofocus systems on inexpensive bodies and cheap zooms are something you will tire of quickly. Buy a nice old manual (with a spot meter) and a 50mm prime. Lots more quality for the cash.

I've been using a film Rebel with a cheap zoom for a year now (my first camera). It's been great but I would agree with the info above. Autofocus systems on inexpensive bodies and cheap zooms are something you will tire of quickly. Buy a nice old manual (with a spot meter) and a 50mm prime. Lots more quality for the cash.
then what camera would you reccomend for me?
it doesnt have to be $60 or less....how about $150 or less for camera and lens

then what camera would you reccomend for me?
it doesnt have to be $60 or less....how about $150 or less for camera and lens

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81044

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85793

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84276

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83593

Probably in the end it doesn't matter too much, buy something and use it. There are a million options and not so many bad ones. Later you can make a more critical decision about what system you want to build around.

Dave

I've shot all the beginner SLR's and I think the Pentax Super Program is the best bang for the buck.

Most reactions

Back