Which Tele-Converter??

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well my school is planning on getting some new equipment, and I recommended getting a Tele converter for our lenses. We run pretty much all Sigma lenses, well the ones this would be used on are Sigmas, with Canon Bodies.

The lenses we would be using this on are a Sigma 70-200mm and Sigma 80-300. It would be used pretty much solely for Golf pictures so that we don't have to stage photos and that we can actually get action shots of golf.

So any suggestions on a tele converter to get?

Sigma 1.4TC would be my recomendation - it will give you a decent increase in focal length, with only one stop of light lost and minimal image quality loss. Check this table here for a list of sigma compatable lenses with the 1.4TC
Tele Converter matching list

Note that the 2*TC might give you far more reach, but you lose 2 stops of light and the image quality will take a very noticable drop - its ok to play with but its overall image quality might be far less than most will be happy with. Consider it as a possiblity, but 1.4TCs would be far more widly used

Overread, have you try to stack 2x 1.4x TC together? In theory, 1.4x rob 1 stop of light, so stacking two 1.4x TC together will lose 2 stops of light just like the 2x TC but you have a higher magnification, is that right? Just wonder if it is possible.

Sadly the sigma and canon TCs I have won't stack together - I think you have to put a Kenko 1.4TC into the mix before you can stack 1.4s. Also the magnification would be 1.96 times rather than 2* though that is a pretty small difference and in the field I would doubt you would see any difference in working.

Image quality wise I am not so certain, but I recall seeing some tests done and I think a 2*TC in that test beat stacked 1.4TCs - a sort of defence for this (though its not proven fact) is the fact that most pros use 2*TCs on their setups rather than 1.4TC combos. It might also give bonuses to AF speed and other possible factors.

However saying that, recently here someone was defending the 1.4TCs over the 2*TC.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Recently, I am thinking about getting a 1.4x TC (Kenko) for my EF 100m macro lens. Need to do more research.

My advice is go for it - a 1.4TC on a macro lens is great fun - I have a 1.4TC on my macro lenses almost all the time and I find it great for getting a little more magnifcation without having to lose the working distance or the infinity focus (two things you do have modified/lost when using tubes for a similar gain in mangification).

Well my school is planning on getting some new equipment, and I recommended getting a Tele converter for our lenses. We run pretty much all Sigma lenses, well the ones this would be used on are Sigmas, with Canon Bodies.

The lenses we would be using this on are a Sigma 70-200mm and Sigma 80-300. It would be used pretty much solely for Golf pictures so that we don't have to stage photos and that we can actually get action shots of golf.

I too would get a 1.4x. Caution though, if you are shooting Sigma lenses, don't buy the Canon brand extender (teleconverter). The I.D. of the rear of the Sigma lenses is smaller than the O.D. of the Canon extender.....the two do not mate together.

I too would get a 1.4x. Caution though, if you are shooting Sigma lenses, don't buy the Canon brand extender (teleconverter). The I.D. of the rear of the Sigma lenses is smaller than the O.D. of the Canon extender.....the two do not mate together.

Thank you. Ya i was wondering which one i would get, but figured sigma lenses meant sigma converter.

Thanks everybody for the input and the explanations!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back