Which telephoto lens should I get for my D3000?

ohsoluckyyxo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D3000 and was looking at the 70-300mm nikkor lens. I researched it and it said that it is not compatible with my D3000. Does anyone know a good (cheap) telephoto that will work with the D3000?

Thanks!

ohsoluckyyxo said:
I'm thinking about getting this one Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens (Black) 1928 B&H

How do I autofocus it manually? Is there a youtube link on it somewhere? or do you just turn the lens left to right until it is in focus?

You just turn the focus lens. Have you tried manual focus with any of your other lenses?? The kit lens has a switch on it to put it on manual focus. The d3000 isn't really made for manual focus - it can be done but it takes some practice. The viewfinder kind of sucks for manual focus. But you can buy a focus screen that will help you....

depending on how cheap you want to go, the nikkor 70-300 VRII is around $350 or so used, and you can get the non-VR 70-300G for under $200.

No I haven't really used manual focus before. I just depend on my lens to auto focus it. do you think it's that difficult to auto focus it with this lens on the D3000?

Tamron 70-300 VC

Their are several version of the 70-300. The older ones may not be AF-S and don't have VR. The current one is an AF-S and shhould work find on your D3000. I use one on my D5000 with no issues.

Most reactions

Back