Which telephoto?

eggy900

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.egnerphotography.co.uk
Hello everyone, I am seeking advice for my first telephoto lens. I have recently switched from a 10x zoom prosumer camera to an EOS-350D with standard lens and don't know what telephoto lens to get.

I've been looking at sigma's 55-200 and 70-300 DC lenses and can't decide which to go for. If you have any help or advice please help me!

I would think the shorter zoom would have a range of focal lengths more useful more of the time. 300mm is very long on a digital and it is hard to control sharpness that long, even with a tripod.

You didn't say what your budget is. I'm going to recommend some high quality lenses that costs a bit more than those, and if you can afford one of them, it'd be well worth your while.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS is one of Canon's best telephotos. It costs over $1500 though. You can also buy an f/4 version, (with IS), for around $1000. The non IS version of the f/4 is around $600. All three are fantastic lenses, and much higher quality than the two you linked to.

Sigma makes a very nice 70-200 f/2.8 as well, (no IS) which is a great alternative.

I have the Canon 70-300mm IS and it's a great lens. I think you would be very happy with it.

I have the Canon 70-300mm IS and it's a great lens. I think you would be very happy with it.

Do you shoot with a battery grip? And if you do, how do you like it? I've been eyeing for awhile now, just to give the camera more body.

No, I do not. But I am definitely looking into purchasing one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back