Which to get, D50 or Canon Rebel XT

AlvinLeung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im stuck with a problem right now, im looking to buy one of these cameras very soon, within this week. But i have to decide which to get.

D50 vs Canon Rebel XT.

1. If i get the D50, i will get it with the stock 18-5mm stock lens, and probably get the nikon 50mm in f1.4 or f1.8

2. If i get the Canon Rebel XT, i will buy only the BODY, since the kit lens is horrible, and i will get the Canon EF 50mm f1.4

Which should i get? And why? Both are reali good, which is why its reali hard for me to decide. So please help me out to solve this complication of mine. Thanks alot.

Both kit lenses suck. You'd do better shooting through a kaleidoscope.

I say go for the Canon. Then depending on your budget, you can get a nice lens, e.g., 28-105 (there's two of them: f3.5-4.5, f4.5-5.6), 24-105 f4L, 17-40 f4L.

I have the XT and the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 and the 50 f1.8.

Whatever you get make sure you get either a 28, 35, or 50mm prime lens.

They're both fine, get the one you think feels better in your hand.

... I mean, I assume you actually bothered to go and hold these things, right? You're not just doing internet comparisons, right? You do realize they're tools to be used, not just feature-sets to be compared and geeked-out about?

i went to the BEACH CAMERA store, they wouldn't let me hold the d50 or the xt, when they had it on display. My friend's father has a d50, i like the feel of the d50. I felt the XTi, but not the XT, the XTi is a bit small for my hands, the grip isn't too suitable for me.

yea i know, im not going to buy from them. Im also trying to find out how big the viewfinder is for the XT AND D50. anyone know?

i went to the BEACH CAMERA store, they wouldn't let me hold the d50 or the xt, when they had it on display. My friend's father has a d50, i like the feel of the d50. I felt the XTi, but not the XT, the XTi is a bit small for my hands, the grip isn't too suitable for me.

I hate stores like that. Go there again, ask if they have FOUR 1D MIII's in stock, then ask to handle one, and when they turn you down, tell them they just lost a customer.

but, anyways, back onto my problem. I need to decide very very soon on which to get. Thanks

I love my XT and they're both very capable cameras. I really think you'd be happy with either one.

The best thing is to go to a good photography shop, hold both choices, check out the controls and their locations. Look at the lenses and other accessories you are interested in. A good photography shop will let you shoot them a little. Take a couple of media cards with you. Compare the results and make your choice from there.

The XT has better high iso performance, but I just can't get over how cheap they feel. The D50 is a solid camera. You are mistaken about the Canon kit lens btw.

As everyone has been saying its all what it feels like. With a battery grip the XT feels a lot bigger so you might want to think about that too. You can get an opteka grip + 2 extra batteries for around $80 on amazon.

Honestly I am grateful for the lighter body when I have a 70-200 L and flash + bracket

I dont see why everyone bases the kit lens so much. What do you expect for 100 bucks? Besides, you aren't going to find a wide angle that cheap anywhere else.

Oh, and it's not like Nikons kit lens is THAT much better than Canons that you would buy nikons but not canons.

And pentax's kit lens FTW.

Personally of the two you mentioned, I like the XT better. the battery grip really adds the size and weight it needs, and the noise of the CMOS sensor is great.

Actually all the reviews on the 18-55mm kit lens from Nikon are quite good. I had it, it did the job nicely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back