Which tripods to choose?

HomelessBoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I recently bought a cheappo tripod and it broke before I went to the field and test it out. So I am looking to buy a new tripod which can help me to shoot landscapes, travel and product photography.

I think the weight really doesn't that much to me. I am on a tight budget so I cannot afford to buy one of those £500 tripods. I found two tripods which appears to be quite good. Are there any more suggestions?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0_BA_1_AC_1320_3_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod - 190XPROB - Jessops - Tripods

What about the Giottos tripods?

I've long felt the Giottos tripods were a better value than Manfrotto tripods.

Those Manfrotto tripods look a bit weak to me.

There are more or less three main manufacturers of "pro" quality tripods.... not counting the smaller independent specialty outfits like Really Right Stuff, and Kirk... and Manfrotto is considered to be number 2 of those three.... Gitzo is number one, and Giottos is number three. Manfrotto stuff doesn't break.. and that line is rated at 8 to 11 lbs max load....adequate for most light DLSR uses... although a heavier tripod is never a bad idea. Just trying to help you out within the budget you listed. If you want something heavier, go for it!

The Giottos rock... I have a 9371 aluminum and a 8360CF.. both rock solid.

Several of the store brand / less well known brands like Benro have some good reviews.... and are significantly cheaper. Don't have any experience with them... so I won't recommend them personally. Just be careful not to buy another one that is going to break...

What about the Giottos tripods?

I've long felt the Giottos tripods were a better value than Manfrotto tripods.

I love my Giotto's... !!!!

There are more or less three main manufacturers of "pro" quality tripods.... not counting the smaller independent specialty outfits like Really Right Stuff, and Kirk... and Manfrotto is considered to be number 2 of those three.... Gitzo is number one, and Giottos is number three. Manfrotto stuff doesn't break.. and that line is rated at 8 to 11 lbs max load....adequate for most light DLSR uses... although a heavier tripod is never a bad idea. Just trying to help you out within the budget you listed. If you want something heavier, go for it!

Several of the store brand / less well known brands like Benro have some good reviews.... and are significantly cheaper. Don't have any experience with them... so I won't recommend them personally. Just be careful not to buy another one that is going to break...

I wouldn't tell Induro that. They and the rest of the MAC group have been making quality products for a long time.

I wouldn't tell Induro that. They and the rest of the MAC group have been making quality products for a long time.

Yea.. they have! :) But I can't list everyone.... take forever.... I guess I should have put an "IMO" on that post. That is why I qualified the statement with a "more or less".

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This carbon tripod holds my Nikkor 70-200 and gripped D7000 without issue and I'm very pleased: Manfrotto 055CXPRO 3-SECTION TRIPOD - MA055CXPRO3

Do get one that can support you cam and lens. I got a vanguard but the head keeps dipping down when I mount my 70-300 mm lens. Now I don't know I should change the head or the whole tripod.

Most reactions

Back