Which upgrade to go with?

stillmotionphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I am a new professional photographer and thinking about doing an upgrade from my Nikon D80.

So my budget is somewhere in the 2000 range for camera and Lens, I have minimum lenses currently so i am not focused on staying with Nikon.

Right now I am thinking about the

7D- Canon
Nikon 700

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Josh

Still Motion Photography

if you've already got nikon lenses, why spend money to start over with canon? get the d700

I agree. Switching systems will only cost you money.

If you buy another Nikon, you can keep your current cameras as a 2nd/backup...which is a necessity for a working pro.

You say you have minimum lenses right now...so my advice would be to start there with your upgrade. Simply changing the camera probably won't make as much of a difference as adding a high quality lens or two.

I agree. Switching systems will only cost you money.

If you buy another Nikon, you can keep your current cameras as a 2nd/backup...which is a necessity for a working pro.

You say you have minimum lenses right now...so my advice would be to start there with your upgrade. Simply changing the camera probably won't make as much of a difference as adding a high quality lens or two.

+1 :thumbup:

+2!
Good glass is where a lot of quality in an image starts (as well as good lighting of course). In addition bare in mind what I said in your other thread - its not enough just to get a new camera body or a new lens or other bit of gear - you have to have a plan of where you are going and what limitation you are going to overcome with this new gear.
So again I say sit down and work out where you are heading - then start to research that area and find out your weakenesses in terms of photographic skill and gear - then start to get advice on what gear to purchase to start to help you overcome some of your limitations.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I think the biggest things I would like to overcome are the speed in shots per second, and the quality of photos, as such i am also interested in going with a full frame sensor.

Josh

Still Motion Photography

However, the quality of the lens will affect the image that records by the camera. A not so good image will record as not so good image by the camera.

I am just saying lens plays a important part in quality of photos. :)

I would go with the D700, hands down.

Hey guys and gals,

I am a new professional photographer and thinking about doing an upgrade from my Nikon D80.

So my budget is somewhere in the 2000 range for camera and Lens, I have minimum lenses currently so i am not focused on staying with Nikon.

Right now I am thinking about the

7D- Canon
Nikon 700

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Josh

Still Motion Photography
I agree with inTempus. Upgrade to the D700 for new professional photographer type work.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I think the biggest things I would like to overcome are the speed in shots per second, and the quality of photos, as such i am also interested in going with a full frame sensor.

Josh

Still Motion Photography

D700 is great but, what about the d300? You stated that speed was your biggest thing so, the d300 is 1fps (6fps) faster than the d700 (5fps). I believe that you could put the same grip on both and get up to 8fps. As long as you are not shooting continuous 14-bit RAW then you could work with the d300 at a cheaper price.

That d700 is nice though... Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back