Which version is better?

Thanks everyone, I think I'm beginning to like the color version better also.

I'm going to be a little different here and say I like the B&W better. I find bother photos flat in the background but it does not really bother me in either photo. I think I'd like to see the picture take with the camera down closer to the tracks and then I don't think the "flat" background would stand out as much. It's hard to say without being in this exact location. Also train tracks have been photographed so much it's hard to get a great photo that is truley unique or different. It appears to be a bridge which makes me think there might be some great shots from below looking up at it or whatever it goes over. Did you happen to take any?

Great Work

-TAG

Nooooooo!! It is a brige but its sooooo old, I'm too much of a chicken to stand on top of it, plus the river starts to pick up around there and a good distance up so if I fell I'd die and that would be just my luck

I like the color version a lot.

i really like both of them. If i HAD to chose one, it would be the B&W one though! good job!

Thanks everyone :D I played around some more with the shot, in both color, bw, and sepia and I'll try to get them uploaded later.

question to the OP...

What process did you use to convert to B&W?

I have PSE and there's a "convert to black and white" task under edit I believe, I clicked that and you can choose the type of bw you want.. I believe I chose urban, but I don't remember exactly

The reason why I ask is because the B&W conversion doesn't do justice.

Here's a quick and dirty for you to try out in PS and see what you prefer:

1) Image -> Adjustments -> Channel Mixer.
2) Select Red Output channel and set RED bar to 100% the other two to -200%
3) Image -> Adjustments -> Desaturate
4) Adjust levels by picking your black point and mid point.
5) Adjust Brightness and contrast (or use curves). I prefer a bit more contrasty.

You'll see a much better B&W rendition (IMO) than the one you posted. I am biased though... I "see" the world in B&W. :p

[I'd post but you have the "not ok to edit" flag on]

Well I have Elements and we don't have most of the stuff that you would use to convert it, but if you'd like to give it a try you have my permission :)

I'm at work with a non-calibrated monitor so I'm hoping its not too contrasty nor off too much on brightness but this is what I had in mind.

Attachments

• $adjustedB&W.jpg
    $adjustedB&W.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 45
Hmmm.. went to another monitor in the building and it seems too bright.... ah well.. try again when I get home. You get the idea... the original conversion is loosing the details in the surrounding foliage.

[edit] toned it down a bit and trying again [/edit]

Attachments

• $adjustedB&W_2.jpg
    $adjustedB&W_2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 46
Hmmm.. went to another monitor in the building and it seems too bright.... ah well.. try again when I get home. You get the idea... the original conversion is loosing the details in the surrounding foliage.

[edit] toned it down a bit and trying again [/edit]

Oh I see what you meant now... that does look at lot better!! Thanks for helping me out, I'll play around with the different BW settings that are available with elements

Most reactions

Back