Which wide angle lens is best for Nikon D5200 ?

adilkm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own a Nikon D5200 DSLR with stock 18-55mm & a 50mm prime lens. I'm in need of wide angle telephoto lens. I've searched a lot in the internet and read a lot reviews of various lenses. Atlast i came up with these, Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX AF 11 - 16 mm f/2.8, Tamron SP AF 10 - 24 mm F/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD & Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, etc. So please help me chose the right wide angle lens witha little bit more zoom and nice picture quality. Lenses apart from above listed can also be considered according to ur suggestions. Thank You.

I'm thinking of a nikon crop wide angle myself. From reviews it seems the sigma and tokina are better, the tokina is faster but the sigma has better range, though looking at the links below you can see some user reviews and some example pictures, and the tamron looks good also

Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM : Specifications and Opinions [JuzaPhoto]

Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II : Specifications and Opinions [JuzaPhoto]

Tamron SP 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD : Specifications and Opinions [JuzaPhoto]

Thanx for the info. will try to sort it out @jaomul

I currently own a Nikon D5200 DSLR with stock 18-55mm & a 50mm prime lens. I'm in need of wide angle telephoto lens. I've searched a lot in the internet and read a lot reviews of various lenses. Atlast i came up with these, Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX AF 11 - 16 mm f/2.8, Tamron SP AF 10 - 24 mm F/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD & Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, etc. So please help me chose the right wide angle lens witha little bit more zoom and nice picture quality. Lenses apart from above listed can also be considered according to ur suggestions. Thank You.
I really like my Nikon 10-24mm.

What will you be using the lens for?

Will you be getting paid for any of the photos you use the wide angle lens for?

I'm using for my personal needs. I travel a lot, attend a lot of functions, take a lot of indoor photography.

Just curious, why does this matter, is it for budget reasons you ask?

Well if he is getting paid, you should try and get the best if you can. Which would be the Nikon 10-24mm.

If its just for personal needs and you will use in here and there, plus you are on a tight budget, maybe get one of the 3rd party.

Its pretty much agreed upon that if the budget is not an issue the Nikon 10-24mm is clearly the best wide angle lens for DX.

I have a D5300 and at first tried the sigma 10-20, thought it was just okay, returned it, got the Nikon 10-24mm and thought it was noticeably better by quite a bit.

So, my 2 cents is, if you are using this for paid gigs or want the very best, get the Nikon 10-24.

OP- If you want samples from a camera very similar to yours, let me know, and I will post some using the Nikon 10-24mm.

Well if he is getting paid, you should try and get the best if you can. Which would be the Nikon 10-24mm.

If its just for personal needs and you will use in here and there, plus you are on a tight budget, maybe get one of the 3rd party.

Its pretty much agreed upon that if the budget is not an issue the Nikon 10-24mm is clearly the best wide angle lens for DX.

I have a D5300 and at first tried the sigma 10-20, thought it was just okay, returned it, got the Nikon 10-24mm and thought it was noticeably better by quite a bit.

So, my 2 cents is, if you are using this for paid gigs or want the very best, get the Nikon 10-24.

Was it the f3.5 sigma that you originally had?

I had (almost) decided this was the one I would buy. Reviews look good and what I've seen on internet looks good, but often on sites such as Flickr its only the sharpest best examples etc with no idea as to the amount pp that was c/o.

Actual users reviews mean much more, you may have me re-thinking

Yes, the 3.5.

So its $450 for the sigma and $900 for the Nikon, so double the price.

If you are on a budget, you can always try the sigma. I have a nice camera shop near me that has a 15 day return policy as long as you buy something with the return credit, so it was easy for me to compare.

^^ thanks for the reply and info

Actually i'm on a tight budget, so moving forward with the Nikon 10-24mm would be little bit uneasy by budget. Thats y i opted to go with others. How about the 'Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8' ? Seems its better than the above mentioned lenses i've done.

Actually i'm on a tight budget, so moving forward with the Nikon 10-24mm would be little bit uneasy by budget. Thats y i opted to go with others. How about the 'Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8' ? Seems its better than the above mentioned lenses i've done.

This lens hasn't really been out long enough to get a good idea about it. You have to remember its very rare that people can truly say one is better than the other, most will buy one and stick with it, and either praise it forever or tell you its pros and cons. It's good to get user comparisons like Parker 219 where someone has had more than one similar specced lens and gives actual opinions.

The tokina 11-16, and sigma 10-20 get mostly good reviews from people using them. Every lens will have faults and generally a lens costing twice as much will have advantages. For your budget I'm sure any of your choices are good, though the tokina seems to bit the hot one at the momemt

Yes, the 3.5.

So its $450 for the sigma and $900 for the Nikon, so double the price.

If you are on a budget, you can always try the sigma. I have a nice camera shop near me that has a 15 day return policy as long as you buy something with the return credit, so it was easy for me to compare.

I bought my Nikon 10-24mm 4 years ago for $600.
I sold it this spring for $600.

You will be able to find one for around $600 if that makes a difference.
The Nikon lens will hold it's value. The non-Nikon lenses will not.

Most reactions

Back