Which wide angle lens is right for me? (zoom lens)

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Budget isn't a huge problem, I am trying to figure out what to save up for. I would say less than 2,000. Prefer 1,000-1,500. USD.

Edit: Not going to full frame in near future.

I currently have 70-200mm F/2.8 and I am looking for something less than 70mm to fill the gap. Essentially replace my kit lens 18-55 piece of crap non-IS. I am not interested in super-wide lenses such as 10-22 or anything wider than 18mm. I do plan on using F/2.8 and IS in low-light but I may consider F/4 with IS. I wont be doing sports in low-light so high shutter speeds isn't a priority. Mostly for a walk-around lens that my 70-200 doesn't cover. DO everything and anything in the 0-70mm range lol...

I do have a 7D so it will be on a crop sensor. Some people say 24-70 may be too long on a crop sensor. I wont be doing any super wide wedding shots though. I did view the 24-70 in store on a crop sensor and it did appear to be wide enough but in store isn't the best place to test zoom.

17-40 is nice, weather sealed is a plus BTW, although its not 2.8 but still considered.

EF-S 17-55 is very appealing as it has IS, is 2.8 and good quality optics etc etc for a pretty good price. It isnt weather sealed iirc? Which isnt *THAT* important but would be nice.

The 24-105, again is F/4 but does have IS but the range is pretty long at the short end, and overlaps into my 70-200 range a little much.

I am thinking the 17-55 is my best bet. Are there any good competitors to this in sigma or other company?

Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
On a 1.6x crop sensor, a 17-55 has a FOV equivelent of 27.2 mm - 88 mm, so it would only be "wide angle: from the 27.2 mm to about 35 mm where wide angle starts the transition to standard angle of around 50 mm.

Wide angle would be max focal lengths of 24 mm and less before applying the 1.6x crop factor, like the EF-S 10-22 or the EF 16-35 L.

EF-S 10-22mm is a great lens and one of my favorites. Very nice ability to capture quality wide shots on a crop sensor.

tcnightdrivesmall.jpg

However though, if you are looking for something a little more versatile in "normal" situations, you really can't go wrong with the 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM. It takes the best of both worlds with IS and f/2.8 (rather than having to choose) and has a very friendly zoom range for wide/medium crop sensor field of view. I have both the 10-22 and 17-55 for my 7D and love them. 17-55 is used most but the 10-22 opens up a lot of interesting options for shots not possible with the 17-55.

That is indeed a very cool shot, what kind of PP did you do to get those colors?

Also, yes sorry, I meant standard zoom. ;p

The lighting style and blur is all natural (2 second exposure driving under street lights at night with sunroof open). The coloration is a simple series of gradiants, blending modes, and masking. I was trying to go for the original Fast and the Furious look.

As far as standard zoom, I cannot reccomend enough the 17-55. It's a great little lens.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens Review

Last edited:
Everyone I know, who owns the EF-S 17-55mm, just loves the image quality from it. They all say that it's on par with L lenses.

I do know a few wedding photographers who have worn out the IS system on this lens though. Apparently, it's not as durable as the IS on other lenses. It is something that can be repaired though, for a lot less than having to replace the whole lens. But the solution seems to be using IS only when needed...which may not be all that often because of the short focal length.

Another issues with this lens, is that it tends to get dust inside of it. I haven't heard anyone say that it affected their images...but it's just frustrating to have a $1000+ dollar lens with a bunch of dust inside of it.

If you really don't need/want F2.8....then I think that the 17-40mm F4 L should be a strong contender. I think it's only $700, which is pretty good for an L quality lens.

And of course there is the 16-35mm F2.8 L II. I think this is a pretty good lens, but it's pretty expensive and considering you'd only be using it on an APS-C sensor...it may not be worth the cost.

Other lenses to consider would be the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 and the newer version with VC. I have the non-VC version, it has been my main 'normal zoom' lens for a while now. The quality is good, but maybe not as good as the EF-S 17-55mm. Half the price though. Also, the focus motor on the Tamron isn't up to the level of Canon USM.

Sigma has an 18-50mm F2.8 which may be pretty good as well.

Nice tC

EF-S 10-22mm is a great lens and one of my favorites. Very nice ability to capture quality wide shots on a crop sensor.

tcnightdrivesmall.jpg

However though, if you are looking for something a little more versatile in "normal" situations, you really can't go wrong with the 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM. It takes the best of both worlds with IS and f/2.8 (rather than having to choose) and has a very friendly zoom range for wide/medium crop sensor field of view. I have both the 10-22 and 17-55 for my 7D and love them. 17-55 is used most but the 10-22 opens up a lot of interesting options for shots not possible with the 17-55.

Most reactions

Back