Which wireless remote to buy for the EOS 30D?

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just posted another thread about buying an ND filter for the 16-35 2.8 by Canon. I'm sure you've guessed that I am a landscape artist and would also like to buy a wireless remote for this camera.

What are the primary options to look for and what are the top brands to choose from? Bascially, which one would you choose for this camera on a balanced budget? I called B&H about it and the sales rep recommended Wizard.

Thanks for reading!

Colin :)

I rarely use my wireless remote. For landscapes a wired remote works just fine. If you want a wireless I would suggest one of the cheap ebay versions unless you need a ton of range or have a use for Pocket Wizards.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aputure-Wireles...hash=item330253016526&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Mine is cheap, reliable and good out to about 120 feet. I bought it before I started collecting Pocket Wizards. At $190 each (you need at least 2 plus the proper cable) Collecting is a good word for it. Of course if you have and want/need to spend the money here you go.
http://www.pocketwizard.com/index.asp

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I rarely use my wireless remote. For landscapes a wired remote works just fine.

You raise the question of the day> I just finished reading 'The Digital Photography Book' in which Scott Kelby makes a point that wireless remotes will return sharper images over wired remotes. I'm like the next Joe and want to spend as much money as it will take to capture tack sharp photographs.

Does anyone else have experience shooting with wireless and wired remotes? Does wireless really make a difference?

I have nothing to say about the sharpness, but I will recommend something.

If you go on eBay, you can find some quality remotes for quite cheap. Phottix is one that comes to my mind. Or look up V2s Wireless Remote for 30D.

I use the Nikon version of this third-party release: http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/product.asp?pid=3101115 and have been very happy with it. Good range (>50'), operates on RF vice IR, so leaves and such don't bother it, and surprisingly, not a battery hog. With respect to the question of sharpness, I really can't see it coming into play unless you have a really, really flimsy tripod.

I have several sb-25's that I use off camera. I bought the cactus V2 ebay triggers. They are almost ridicuously cheap, and when you get them, you will see why. They feel cheap. I removed the bracket (because I don't trust it) and attach my speedlights directly to the lightstand and use a cord to connect from the trigger to the light. All that being said, I actually recommend these triggers. For the cost you cannot beat them. I have read on several forums of a few people having trouble with misfires or what not, but mine have been very dependable. For the cost you can almost afford to buy a set just to try them and see. Anyway just my two cents.

(Additional Edit) I am an idiot. I am sitting here spilling about wireless flash triggers and your talking about a remote. I was curious about the whole landscape and sharpness thing. Oh well, if you are ever looking into wireless flash triggers, you'll know where I stand.

Last edited:
I rarely use my wireless remote. For landscapes a wired remote works just fine.

You raise the question of the day> I just finished reading 'The Digital Photography Book' in which Scott Kelby makes a point that wireless remotes will return sharper images over wired remotes. I'm like the next Joe and want to spend as much money as it will take to capture tack sharp photographs.

Does anyone else have experience shooting with wireless and wired remotes? Does wireless really make a difference?

In my experience, with electronic wired remotes it really makes no difference. The 30D is an electric remote. The old style screw into to the shutter release plunge triggers however would. I shoot a 40D & a 30D. The wire is long enough to secure part of it to the tripod or head if you want. Plus it is a soft push button. No reason that simply holding it in your hand and softly pushing the release will transmit any vibration. Just don't be jerking on the cord.

The one thing that will made a difference is mirror lockup. Select the custom function for mirror lockup. Frame and focus your shot. Lock the mirror up, let the camera settle for a second or two and then trip the shutter. No mirror slap to vibrate the camera.

Either one is good. I usually use the wired for speed and convenience. My wireless is used mostly with a third body when shooting basketball. The college I shoot for lets me mount a camera on the backboard ceiling mount with super clamps and safety wires. I modified my remote receiver by adding a locking cold foot on the bottom so it sits in the hotshoe with no trouble. The camera usually has a 24mm on it prefocused on the rim in manual focus mode. A good slam oppertunity arises and I'm good to go.

Either one would work well and they cost about the same if you get one of the e-bay type.

Heck, I just realized the the e-bay one that I linked to is a new model. I may snag one of those. The old one used an non common battery. The new one uses AAA's.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back