Which wireless Trigger to use??

Paddyjnr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am new to this but i have a keen interest in expanding my photography using some flash techniques. I normally just photograph landscape as a hobby only...
My question is... I have a canon eos 30d and a sigma EF-500DG super Flash and I want to try and operate this wirelessly without too much expense... Any suggestions on what wireless device to buy??? Thank you

Like all equipment questions, budget is all important. Cactus V5 and Yongnuo triggers are the best of the consumer level units. Pocket Wizards and Radio Poppers are the more pro-level.

Like Ron, I use Phottix but mine are the Phottix Strato II units. A bit cheaper than the Atlas units, but I have zero issues with them so far. I was using the inexpensive Cowboy units (dirt cheap) but they just felt cheap so I kept them as backups but bought some nicer units in the Phottix brand.

Check the manual that came with the Sigma Flash and make sure it will work w/ triggers. The easiest way to do this is to try it on another camera a hotshoe that is not Canon Ettl.
My sigma 610 super wont fire with triggers or on non Canon Ettl hotshoes.
You may want to check compatability before spending on trigger.

Like Ron, I use Phottix but mine are the Phottix Strato II units. A bit cheaper than the Atlas units, but I have zero issues with them so far. I was using the inexpensive Cowboy units (dirt cheap) but they just felt cheap so I kept them as backups but bought some nicer units in the Phottix brand.
Will I need two triggers to operate one flash or is one enough.. I don't think my Canon 30d has a wireless option... My apologies for probably sounding silly but this stuff really is all new to me... Thank you for all your comments..

Will I need two triggers to operate one flash or is one enough.. I don't think my Canon 30d has a wireless option... My apologies for probably sounding silly but this stuff really is all new to me... Thank you for all your comments..

I got a pair of transceivers. I am using a Canon T3i with a Sunpak flash. I put on on the camera and one on the flash but that is how i have to do it. The pair was about $150, and was SO worth it for me.

You generally need 1 transmitter that goes on hot shoe of the camera to send the signal. Then you need one receiver on each flash that you want to use -- the receivers obviously receive the signal from the transmitter.

The units that Ron uses are called "transceivers" which are a combination of a transmitter and a receiver. They both send and receive signals so they are interchangable -- it doesn't matter which you put on the camera and which you put on the flash. Very nice feature.

The units that Ron uses are called "transceivers" which are a combination of a transmitter and a receiver. They both send and receive signals so they are interchangable -- it doesn't matter which you put on the camera and which you put on the flash. Very nice feature.

They are really nice to have. Just be sure that you have the correct one transmitting and the correct one receiving. I am looking at getting another OCF and will be getting another one of these soon.

Just be sure that you have the correct one transmitting and the correct one receiving.

Ron, are you saying that they are NOT interchangeable? I thought transceivers were completely interchangeable.

Just be sure that you have the correct one transmitting and the correct one receiving.

Ron, are you saying that they are NOT interchangeable? I thought transceivers were completely interchangeable.

No, they are interchangeable. They each have a switch for on/off, transmit/receive and channels (1,2,3,4). But you can "accidentally" switch the one on the flash to transmit if you aren't careful. (Oh wait, that's me, no one else would make that mistake, sorry.)

Will these transmitter calculate the distance from the subject and calculate the correct power to use automatically???

most of the options available at a budget price will not adjust automatically you will have to adjust manually. I was on a tight budget and started using the cactus and have been very happy with there performance, even after taking a few spills and snapping the shell almost in half. some duct tape and it still worked.

Will these transmitter calculate the distance from the subject and calculate the correct power to use automatically???

:shock: Oh, HELL no. :lmao:

You want something "fancy schmancy" like that you'll have to fork over $250 each for Pocket Wizards, Radio Poppers, or something similar. These are full manual which I frankly prefer to i-TTL.

Most reactions

Back