Whichc lens for D7100?

Poksey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all! I figured I would toss this question out to those much more knowledgeable than myself.

I am looking for a lens to shoot dog agility competitions and also may be used for some portraits. Right now through all the research I have done I believe I am looking at these lenses:

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO
Nikon 70-200mm AF-S f/4G ED VR

The dog agility, for those unfamiliar, is where they run through a obstacle course. This includes jumps, tunnels, a-frame, chutes, weaves, etc. Most of the time these are indoor competitions with somewhat poor lighting. I need something to capture crisp images of the dogs in action.
The portraits would be inside and outside. mostly for family members.
I am mostly a wildlife photographer still on a learning curve. I am not a pro, just a hobbyist, looking to help my wife get some nice images she could print up.

ATM, I am leaning toward either of the Sigma lenses as I have had good luck with my Sigma 150-500. Obviously the 2.8 is a factor as well. The gentleman at the local camera store was trying to steer me toward the Nikon. I believe it won't be fast enough for the indoor stuff. Thank you in advance.

Hello all! I figured I would toss this question out to those much more knowledgeable than myself.

I am looking for a lens to shoot dog agility competitions and also may be used for some portraits. Right now through all the research I have done I believe I am looking at these lenses:

The dog agility, for those unfamiliar, is where they run through a obstacle course. This includes jumps, tunnels, a-frame, chutes, weaves, etc. Most of the time these are indoor competitions with somewhat poor lighting. I need something to capture crisp images of the dogs in action.
I am mostly a wildlife photographer still on a learning curve. I am not a pro, just a hobbyist, looking to help my wife get some nice images she could print up.

ATM, I am leaning toward either of the Sigma lenses as I have had good luck with my Sigma 150-500. Obviously the 2.8 is a factor as well. The gentleman at the local camera store was trying to steer me toward the Nikon. I believe it won't be fast enough for the indoor stuff. Thank you in advance.

Well I have the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with os myself and I can recommend it. I've found the image quality to be fantastic and I highly recommend getting the OS version. In low light situations where the subject isn't moving much it gives you the option of lowering your shutter speed so you can lower your iso and get a cleaner shot.

That may not come into play often but everytime it does I find myself glad that I spent a little more on the OS version. It's really nice for shooting handheld.

I also use a 1.4x teleconverter with it so it gives me 280mm at f4. It's an extremely versatile combination.

If you'd like to see some samples I have a lot of stuff in the flickr account shot with the sigma.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. That is the lens I am leaning toward the most, but the 50-150 has pretty great IQ reviews. I am certainly going with OS/VC whatever you want to call it. I would be interested in seeing some shots, especially if you have any indoor action shots.

Well I have the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with os myself and I can recommend it. I've found the image quality to be fantastic and I highly recommend getting the OS version. In low light situations where the subject isn't moving much it gives you the option of lowering your shutter speed so you can lower your iso and get a cleaner shot.

That may not come into play often but everytime it does I find myself glad that I spent a little more on the OS version. It's really nice for shooting handheld.

I also use a 1.4x teleconverter with it so it gives me 280mm at f4. It's an extremely versatile combination.

If you'd like to see some samples I have a lot of stuff in the flickr account shot with the sigma.

Nothing much to add except to say from seeing r.p pictures the Sigma sounds like the right choice, I don't work much with this focal range so I didn't seriously consider it but if I did the Sigma + 1.4 teleconverter would be my choice too.

Nothing much to add except to say from seeing r.p pictures the Sigma sounds like the right choice, I don't work much with this focal range so I didn't seriously consider it but if I did the Sigma + 1.4 teleconverter would be my choice too.

Quick confirmation: You say the Sigma lens, I assume 70-200 over 50-150?

Go with your instinct for f2.8. Would the 50-150 be long enough? It does get good reviews and it's hopefully on my list soon. I would be more inclined to go for a used Nikon 70-200 vr, the first one. If things are moving its likely your best option in and around the price of the 3 lenses you mention

Thanks for the response. That is the lens I am leaning toward the most, but the 50-150 has pretty great IQ reviews. I am certainly going with OS/VC whatever you want to call it. I would be interested in seeing some shots, especially if you have any indoor action shots.

20131228 969 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

This was actually shot on my old D5100 16 mp.

This one isn't an action shot but it does give you a pretty good idea as to the sort of image quality you can get even in lowlight, shot at ISO 5000 on the D5200:

20140216_605 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

I've been very happy with the IQ myself on both cameras, the lens really does do a great job.

I certainly like the cheetah pic (very nice!), but is it me or is the lion a little soft with the paws and head? I really need sharp action shots. Unfortunately, I am still quite unsure which Sigma would be better :(

I certainly like the cheetah pic (very nice!), but is it me or is the lion a little soft with the paws and head? I really need sharp action shots. Unfortunately, I am still quite unsure which Sigma would be better :(

It is a little soft on the paws and head but that was actually my fault, not the lens.. lol. I had the aperture wide open and I missed my focus point a bit so the DOF is a little off. The autofocus system on the 5100 wasn't that great for action shots in particular, it was pretty difficult at times to get hit just the right focus point. The 5200's AF system is a whole lot better so it's a whole lot easier to get the shots I need, with the 7100's AF system I doubt you'd have much of a problem.

Its a leopard not a cheetah!

It is a little soft on the paws and head but that was actually my fault, not the lens.. lol. I had the aperture wide open and I missed my focus point a bit so the DOF is a little off. The autofocus system on the 5100 wasn't that great for action shots in particular, it was pretty difficult at times to get hit just the right focus point. The 5200's AF system is a whole lot better so it's a whole lot easier to get the shots I need, with the 7100's AF system I doubt you'd have much of a problem.

Thanks for the response. That certainly makes me feel better about the lens.

Ouch! :oops:

Thanks for the response. That certainly makes me feel better about the lens.

Ouch! :oops:

No worries, happy to help. I've been very happy with the Sigma 70-200 mm myself, produces very good images, focuses fast, really the only "gripe" I've ever had is that the zoom ring is "backwards", meaning to zoom in or out you actually rotate it the opposite direction you would for most standard Nikkor lenses. Took a couple of times using it to get used to that but once I did it hasn't really been a problem. I was also very impressed with the IQ when I combined it with a teleconverter, I wasn't expecting the image quality to be that great with a TC but really it was hard to tell the difference, especially after a little post processing:

20140216_223 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

No worries, happy to help. I've been very happy with the Sigma 70-200 mm myself, produces very good images, focuses fast, really the only "gripe" I've ever had is that the zoom ring is "backwards", meaning to zoom in or out you actually rotate it the opposite direction you would for most standard Nikkor lenses. Took a couple of times using it to get used to that but once I did it hasn't really been a problem. I was also very impressed with the IQ when I combined it with a teleconverter, I wasn't expecting the image quality to be that great with a TC but really it was hard to tell the difference, especially after a little post processing:

20140216_223 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

I'm not worried about the opposite turning zoom, I have the Sigma 150-500 and it turns opposite as well. Im assuming both the 50-150 and 70-200 turn the "wrong way". Not sure if I would use a TC or not. probably just as-is.

I would like to hear from those who have Sigma 50-150mm though, if there are any.

Last edited:
The nikon 70-200 vr i maybe a consideration as you are using dx

Most reactions

Back