While we're making suggestions!

If things always worked as they were planned, the "Ma look what I can do"-forum would be in Snapshots and Bloopers. THough I do admit that the "and Bloopers" might keep many from going in there, since they might not consider their "Look-Ma!"-pic a blooper.

And the word Snapshot, as we all know, has got some negative connotations in the course of time. But that would be just THE forum you are asking for, Charlie.

And the other galleries that are not made for the "pros" such as Weddings and Portraits (done by those who earn their living with these pics) are the peer-to-peer critiquing you are asking for. Or can be that. Along with being very communicative - which I appreciate.

And then, why not, let there be the "professor's class" for the most advanced and those that aspire to be that. Why not?

There is no way to answer that without being offensive Foto so I'm going to say this. It is indeed not a perfect world.

The old critique section had flaws that could have been fixed for what it was. As for the professors critique they are welcome to it. I make fun of them because I find it humorous not because I want to bring them down. If they succeed or fail my words will have no effect either way.

As for the other, I think it is sad that a Dew has to complain about not wanting critique and someone who does want to hear gets atta boy on pictures that are less than acceptable. So yes I think there needs to be clear lines not this fuzzy logic. But even if tomorrow you straightened that out, I would still laugh at pompous people no matter where I find them. Like I said I will stop making fun of the egomaniacs when the toss me from the forum. I don't do it in their room because I assume those there wouldn't see it anyway. When people stop listening I will stop writing. That seems pretty simple.

Or of course if someone bans me for finding humor in the pomposity of people in general, I will stop sooner.

Well, thanks for not being offensive. Much appreciated.

And well, I can only judge for myself (and maybe you know me well enough to know that I don't lie) but I don't give anyone attaboy comments on photos that are sub-par in any of our galleries. When I see a pic that lacks in composition or whatnot, I say so. In a - hopefully always - friendly, but clear manner. And many have thanked me for that.

and probably a few have not... Most of the atta boys come from people who are equally lost but.... it that is all the poster wants to hear there should be a place for ego boosting just as there is now a place for ego strutting.

I just think there should be a place designated for the old style critique less the atta boys period and no one seems to be listening... lol and I'm not preaching or campaigning for one. Chase asked for suggestions on what to do with the critique section that is mine.

Apparently some enormous cataclysm has occured in the Critique forum with immense socio-religio-political ramifications... or so it seems because not only are there multiple threads dedicated to this issue, but now several people are talking about leaving TPF. Not having been on the forum that much recently, and hardly ever frequenting the Critique forum myself, this is all a bit baffling. I don't know enough to say who might be right or wrong and have no intention of wading into that. But I don't like to see disagreement over this or any other issue negatively affecting the other gallery and discussion areas, the site overall, which is what happens when people leave. If people really feel that staying and posting on TPF (which includes more than just the Critique forum) is unbearable and likely to remain so then obviously they can choose to leave. But I hope that before they make that choice they are really sure they feel that way, and that they consider the alternatives (like simply sticking to other areas of the site while you "wait and see").

And on a more specific note...

The chances of you seeing another photo post from me is pretty slim.
- Chiller, the forum, specifically the Dark Side, won't be the same without you. I hope you reconsider. The same goes for everyone else talking or thinking about leaving.

Charlie, My main point is there have been issues about critiques before. And I bet there will likely be more in future. Not sure what or if any think can be done to avoid it in future.

Most likely not ...But youir comment on Dew was fair. Some people don't want critique and they are putting things in the general sections and getting it wanted or not. Just seems that there should be a better way to do things.

Then again I stay away from the NEW critique section. I have no idea if it will be a big hit or not.

Some people don't want critique and they are putting things in the general sections and getting it wanted or not. Just seems that there should be a better way to do things.

May be we need a "My photos are [OK/not OK] to comment on" tag.

There's also a line of thinking that says if you don't want people to comment/critique your output, then don't put them on an open public forum. Surely you can use Flickr or whatever to publish with minimal risk of getting feedback you don't want to hear.

I've seen my name come up numerous times, so I'm sidetracking this thread for just a second. I wanted to make a couple of quick points.

Unfortunately, I work a hectic job and TPF has no choice but to take a backseat position in comparison to what I do for a living. My job puts me on the road on a very regular basis (2 different business trips last week for example), so there is no way for me to keep up with these topics as frequently as many of you who visit the site. The day it all started, I just happened to have been delayed at the airport which gave me far more time than usual to do something other than my normal work.

I wish I could say TPF was my full-time job and that I could give the majority of my attention to it, but unfortunately (or sometimes fortunately :lol: ) that isn't the case. So, between the rest of my "real life" world, I do my best to guide and run the site. A lot of that time falls on back-end issues, like when the server crashed a couple of weeks back, and other general maintenance issue. I also spend a ton of time answering the floods of PMs I get between times I log on and catching up with moderation issues in general.

My point is that there are only so many hours in a day, and so many days in the week, so I can't always give attention to things the way I'd like to. This is yet another example of that. So, while I understand people expect me to chime in and it is difficult to wait (sometimes days) for responses, in many times it is about the best I can do. (I have an 11 month old son, too....but enough of my sob stories about time! :lol: )

Anyway, I do go back and read through these threads, but I can't always promise a direct response. As Hertz said, they get read and considered. Also know that the chance of seeing major big changes happening quickly is unlikely. I see the opportunities for improvement, and I'm taking them into consideration.

Most reactions

Back